I wish my supervisor would...

H

Rant alert! My main supervisor is being an absolute..."idiot"...at the moment (for want of an appropriate expletive). It got me thinking about what the ideal supervisor would be like, so that I can try to be that person, if I ever get that far. But for now, I've got a wishlist of things that would improve my quality of life no end. Anyone want to join me in this?

I wish my supervisor would read my work. I know it's boring, because I read it myself, every day. But the difference is you get paid.

I wish my supervisor would turn up on time to meetings. I know you told me you don't have a watch. But you're 35. Buy one.

I wish my supervisor would write down a list of constructive comments, rather than picking random thoughts from the air and expecting me to put them into a coherent plan of action for the month ahead.

I wish my supervisor would stop doing random and alarming things like banging on the walls and putting up passive aggressive notices in the corridor.

I wish my supervisor would stop stroking his beard during conversations. Brrrrrrrr.

I wish my supervisor would stop recommending that I read books which later turn out to have no relevance to my work whatsoever. I have no time for 'interesting' books. In fact I don't have time for books.

I wish my supervisor would stop asking all the other postgrads if I'm ok behind my back. If you want to know, ask me!!!

Ok, think that's it for now :-)

S

Oh don't get me started. definitley feel your pain with these two:

''I wish my supervisor would read my work. I know it's boring, because I read it myself, every day. But the difference is you get paid.

I wish my supervisor would turn up on time to meetings.''

I am due to submit in 3 weeks and I am still waiting for feedback!!!!!! Feedback, feedback, somebody give be FEEDBACK AAAAHAHHHHH!!!

:-s

A beard... at 35. What a dweeeb.

I love the fact that my supervisor is not involved in my work that much.  I know more about my project than he will ever do. He fully admits this as well, and is proud of it.  Isn't doing a PhD about being an independent investigator? My supervisor has so much confidence in me that he is has allocated £50k of his grant money to the PhD that I am involved in, and recently attended a conference that I was presenting at without even batting an eyelid.  I feel fully in control of my work and enjoy it so much.

I once PhD'd for over-controlling supers in the past; it lasted no more than a few months before I left them.  Each to his (or her) own though. I hope everything works out ok for you.

S

A rather patronising and unsupportive post, Ginga. I hardly think Heiffer's sup could be described as over-controlling. Even you may find that from time to time you would like to meet with your supervisor and have them read your work.

P

Ginga even my supervisor has tremendous confidence in me, and supports me in every possible and imaginable way. But she does also read every sentence I write and marks out little things. It's only useful, and in no way restrictive. The key word in the PhD is "learning" to be an independent researcher, and learning is always a collaborative process between teachers and students, even if intellectual partners, one must be able to derive from the other. And the other must be available to be harsh, be critical, be supportive, be kind, most of all.. be THERE. to read, critique, listen, object, oppose and support.

Heifer, things will get better. Have faith in yourself :-)

S

I'm with smilodon on this; my sup (well my current one, not my old one) is experienced enough to balance letting me make the arguments I want with ensuring that I produce a 'thesis' rather than rambling. Some supervisors will want enormous existential chats about direction, others want detail; but all any student wants at heart is proper feedback!
This is a controversial statement to make, but supervisors do work for you. They are paid to supervise you - not just to let you wander off for three+ years. No we don't want them on our backs, but there is a basic level of support and critique that they should offer; its sounds like Heifer wants that.

C

I'm with you all the way!  It sounds strangely familiar! I just wish my supervisor would take the slightest bit of interest in my work and actually help once in a while!  I'm not asking for much and don't think it's unreasonable! I'm still waiting for feedback back on my work too! I could grow a beard in the time it takes for the feedback!  I get that last point particularly - sometimes I think I might as well be invisible! I'm not that hard to talk to!  I think I need to remind them that I exist! My supervisor is also very random and you never know where they are coming from!  I'm also adding I wish my supervisor was consistent and actually remembers what they say! That's about it for now but I'm sure I'll think of few more now that you've got me thinking!
;-) Imagine if our wishes came true ....

H

Ginga - I would have hoped you would read my post for the semi-serious moan it was intended as - I'm a few months away from submitting so I've had my time as an "independent investigator", thanks, and it would now be nice for my supervisor to help me get the thesis ready for submission rather than acting as an undermining, manipulative moron which he unfortunately is doing at present. People like this exist in every workplace and for you to imply that it is somehow my fault because I'm not doing enough off my own back is pretty presumptous and insulting.

But anyway, thanks everyone else, glad you share the pain of this and smilodon I hope you get some feedback soon! PhDbug I'm so jealous of your supervisor, I've read posts about him/her before and it sounds like you have an awesome relationship!

S

Ah yes - I sometimes get random comments that are then forgotten. At least I know that if I don't agree with a comment I can just 'forget' I heard it.

I really doubt that if I were to disappear one day he would ever actually wonder what had happened to me......

R

All I wish is that my "sups" managed to maintain (even through acting if necessary) an interest in me throughout the year(s) - and not just when I am writing a journal/conference paper!!!! And even then - if they want to come on the track...at least read it before its submitted/presented! Not much to ask.

OH...and, don't say im moody to other members of the department after they have CHEEKILY asked me to write a couple of emails for them...because they are TOO busy. If I wanted to be a PA...