if you're happy and you know it....

C

...clap your hands...

Join in line people - to lift the forum mood.

One thing that makes me happy about my Phd is...

O

..that it ends (hopefully) with a big post- Viva celebration

..that it will be over one day.

S

Another happy chappy here !

C

Delayed gratification happiness:

a)there will be a illustrated thesis at the end that will look beautiful on my bookshelf and will be my surrogate child.

b) that I can get *with hope* a job that pays enough money to cover my bills

Instant Gratification:

a) my PhD really interests me - after work in call centres and retail I can 100% say that this is SO important.

P

...it has given me some great friends who I otherwise would never have met

P

It is three years off but I am going to make a difference to everyone's lives as we are all going to get old

I love my subjects (neural ageing & sports science)and it is more of a hobby and a passion than a slog. I just have to keep convincing myself of that every day

Excellent thread Chris, another one for the filofax

B

Great thread! Nice to have something uplifting for a change.

I love my PhD because...

1) I'm nearly ready to upgrade
2) That paper I've been struggling with for 2 weeks is now writing itself well
3) I love my research topic and the endless puzzles it weaves for me
4) It's the ultimate (intellectual) challenge

C

Congratulations with the upgrade!

I'm happy that I have copme up with a sample chapter and conference poster idea.

V

One thing that makes me happy about my Phd is- an opportunity to not go to the work every day at the same time and an oppportunity to take time/day/moth off whenever (almost) I want

A

The things that make me happy about my PhD is:

1) if i get through it, i can put my lousy 2:2 behind me and remind myself that i am 'worth it' again!!

2) that i will finish (touch wood) before my little sis finishes her undergrad - that way this won't feel like its going on and on and on forever!

3) I'll have my first paper published (2nd author, but one of main contributors!) within the next few months

4) I am in London where I love it most!!

P

Good thread

Things that make me happy about my PhD (really going to refrain from putting a BUT at the end of each ):

I've got good supervisors
I can work the hours I want and, more importantly, still dress like a scruffy alley cat
I can surf t'interweb or chat on forums without feeling *too* guilty
When things are good it feels rather self indulgent--I'm writing about things that interest me and I've got a few years to do it
I got to stay in the place I lived already and wanted to stay in

C

I will finish my PhD (I hope) in the same year my younger sister will finish her undergraduate degree, and my younger brother will finish his four year teaching degree. My parents will be besieged with graduations!!!!

J

I get to work the hours I want
I have a great supervisor
I work with people who don't think that money is everything and actually enjoy their jobs

A

I love doing a PhD. I used to work in research, which wasnt a bad job, but doing a PhD is even better.

And I love MY PhD . OK, i am in a ridiculously optimistic mood at the moment, but I can see my thesis start to take shape, I can believe I have something worth saying, and that I am capable of saying it. I read through one of my early chapters earlier, and was thinking to myself 'that really sounds ok'.

I'm having a good day today

S

clap clap clap!
I love my PhD because...
- it feels like I'm finally doing what I like doing best
- I met and still keep meeting the most incredibly interesting and nice people
- I feel like what I'm doing is meaningful