Im so lost.

P

Hey guys,

This is the first time i am writing, i have been lingering on this site a while.
I am 6 monthes into my PhD, and to begin with my supervisor was really nice and had time for me, but these day's he is hardly ever here and spends his time elswhere. Which, i know is common for supervisors however, i need materials to be working with and he just doesnt care. I feel like, he's just not intere4sted in helping me out or caring about where my project is going because, he is too busy collaborating with other groups.
Today, was the biting point because, he is just so abrupt and has a way of trying to show me up in front of other people.
I really dont know what to do, as, there are day's when i am just so upset that i cannot concentrate on getting my work done.
Im sorry for writing all this, but it just seems like nobody understands where i am coming from.

:(

K

Hey, I'm having problems with my supervisor too. i gave him my first year report to look at two weeks ago and yesterday my feedback session was a joke and it was obvious he hasn't read it and he didn't offer any advice or even say it was ok.

I've come to the conclusion that some supervisors are going to be great and very supportive and helpful, others not so. And if your supervisor isn't so great then you have to make the best of it by "managing" them well and also by being very independent.

In the short-term, make him arrange a meeting where you can get info/material you need. Try not to feel down about it, be active in looking elsewhere for help ie post-docs, other students. It will get better and whats more you will be a very good independent worker and self-motivator at the end of it!

H

Well I'm miserable too...it's really horrible at the moment. My supervisor is actively sabotaging my project, is losing sponsors (I'm sponsored by industry) and to be quite honest I've lost all hope. I'm 18 months in but I absolutely hate doing this PhD and I want to quit sooooo badly but there's no where to go! Yikes!

P

Hey Hamilton,

Aaaaaw that really sucks, i really feel for you because, im in the same predicament myself. Im in the lab everyday from 9:15 - 6:30 even 7:00 but, my supervisor thinks im just faffing around doing bugger all!
Have hope, maybe things might get better eh? maybe our supervisor's will get their act together. Its ok for them, they've been there done it its people like us who have to suffer the consequences.