Imperial College interview: any tips?!

J

======= Date Modified 17 22 2010 19:22:00 =======
Hello!

I've just found out that I got an interview for a PhD at Imperial College. The PhD's with the ecology and evolution section.

I was wondering if anyone's either done/is doing a PhD at Imperial / in this sort of focus and could give me any advice on preparing for the interview?
I'm guessing there are gonna be some pretty impressive candidates going for it as it's ICL (I wasn't really expecting to be shortlisted to be honest!) so I want to be really prepared!

Thanks!

J

T

Afraid I can't help JM but hopefully someone else on here will have a closer link. Good luck anyway!

C

Good luck with the interview.

As a small hint, I won't advocate mentioning academics or interviews by name on this board and would try and remain fairly anonymous. one wouldn't want the Prof. or others involved to read this post. I am sure he has far better things to do then surf a postgraduate forum, but you get what I mean.

I

I'm currently at Imperial doing an MRes, and I was interviewed and offered a place on a 4-year PhD program here, last month.

Try not to be nervous. My advice, go in with some really good questions to ask the panel at the end of the interview that would impress them, like "is there any opportunity to be involved in BSc lab demonstrations during the PhD?". It shows that you're keen and that you've prepared well. Also, come up with answers to a few basic questions, i.e. "so why do you want to do a PhD?", "so why imperial?" or "so what do you think sets you apart from other candidates?".

Also another thing, be confident, yet not arrogant. You've been short listed so you're obviously a worthy candidate! You just need to prove to them that you are the one for the position, and that you will do well!

Good luck!