In between Skills for a PhD

L

Wondering if anyone has any ideas of possible skills to learning that may help before doing a PhD.

for example, an area I can think of, brush up on my English (I only have a E grade English from 12 years ago!!) obviously got through my degree and NVQs as a mature student and some work in industry!

with myself almost finishing a masters degree, has anyone thought of doing a lower level course (i.e A Level, Diploma), if a PhD may be a few months away?

Any information very much appreciated
Many Thanks

R

Hi Leb050,

going through this research project it seems to me important to look at "soft skills": communication, negotiation, dealing with loss etc. I have notided that it is not the intellectual ability which is most difficult but having to work with supervisors who do not seem to care, who do not respond to E mails, who are not good in giving contructive feedback etc. Obviously one could argue that the supervisor should work on his / her inability to communicate properly, yet it is perhaps an idea to look at these issues yourself and develop them as good as you can. I found for example a presentation skills course very good in bringing accross my message.

Regards

L

What best skills would you say to brush up on for a PhD?

R

Well,

maybe I did not express myself clearly: I think working on issues like being able to negotiate, being able to communicate well, able to set goals and targets etc. would all be important to be successful in a PhD.