In need of interview tips

K

Season's greetings to every one..

I would like to have an idea of Phd studentship interview .What are the probable questions and for how long..

Thanks

K

Hi Klim,

When I went for my studentship interview I asked my guidance tutor from my degree what kind of questions I might get asked and he said they'd be very broad: why did I want to do a PhD, why was I interested in this subject etc...Well, they weren't! Some of those kind of questions were asked but they also asked me what my thoughts were on a certain theory, what texts I was interested in looking at etc. So I would recommend looking back over your proposal and trying to be ready for any questions which might arise from that. They also asked me how I would structure my work and how I would make sure I could complete it within the 3 year time frame.

I floundered with some of these questions but still got the place so try not to worry too much. Enthusiasm is one of the most important things. Good luck!

J

Also think about what you want to with the PhD and research on a long term basis. This is what impressed my supervisor who offered me a studentship. Also remember you will leanr most of what you need to know during your PhD, so just be and act confident and you will be fine!

J

when I had mine, I had to do a presentation about designing a research project. The interview part was pretty informal, with both my supervisors present. It was about getting to know why I wanted to do the research and my values surrounding the topis etc. Apparently, I was offered the place because of my enthusiasm for the topic, my presentation (although I thought it was terrible), and because I had a lot of relevant experience which I drew on in the interview.

Basically, I'd say, as cliche as it is, be yourself and let your knowledge, understanding and enthusiasm shine through.

Good luck!

K

Thanks jinkim,jinio and keep calm for your response. I reallyb appreciate your time on this issue.. I feel relaxced after reading it as i came to conclusion that the interview process is more of an informal type.
I actually sent my cv to my supervisor and informned me that he's comfortable with my background and will invite me for an interview after i submit a proposal.
Also any tips about proposal pls? I mean how many words, and what it includes..Though i have got a clue but i would like to further clarify..Thanks..

K

Those are some good tips. This site also has a list of interview questions you could prepare for.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/ssds/sd/careers/plan/further-study/interviews/example-questions

L

Hi,

My interview lasted about an hour. But then I had 4 interviewers.

Have I scared you? Don't worry, it was quite informal and very lively. Initially they were, I think, trying to sell the project to me. Then they asked me specfic questions regarding my skills and background. I was also asked why I wanted to do a PhD towards the end. Overall, if you're confident and know your stuff you'll be OK.

(up)