Including cover letter w/CV in PhD application

A

First I'd like to say thanks for the halp with a previous query that has now encouraged me to apply for a few PhD's!

I got in contact with a few supervisors and they have asked for my CV. Should I include a cover letter even though they haven't asked for one? I just thought it may help, but not too sure if they'll just ignore it.

Any experience here would be helpful! Thanks!!

C

I would, like you said the worst they can do is ignore it, it won’t count against you, plus you will need to write one in the future so is good expeience.

I included one even though i wasn’t asked and when I had my interview they referred to it a few times. Just say why this position, why this topic etc, gives you a chance to sell yourself.

S

I always do,

never hurts and explains why you are sending a c.v.

I keep a standard format one and change the adressee, job title and reasons why I am applying (brief).

Also if you have spoken to someone - it can acts as a good prompt for them to remember you e.g. 'I enclose my c.v. following a recent discussion with Dr. .....'

Keep it light and informative and very short 2 paragraphs at the most I'd say - there is plenty of advice online as far as writing a good covering letter

good luck

S

T

Whenever I sent a CV to a potential supervisor I always put a bit of information about myself in the email, but I always attached a CV as part of my application. I just put stuff about why I liked the project, what my interests are in the field and a bit about my past experience. I always felt it was more polite than just saying 'Dear Dr X I want to apply to your PhD, here is my CV, Yours...'

K

Yes! Include a cover letter most definitely.

Assuming the cv is fairly lightweight because of age and hence lack of experience I would say a well written cover letter is as equally important as your cv.

Apart from the extra information you can convey in it, it looks so much more professional and shows that you know what are doing. I cringe when I think of some of the cover letters I used to write before I learnt the value of them.

M

Hi i'm also looking for a phd around here. i thought C.V and a personal statement was sufficient, should I enclose a cover letter with my application as well ?

thnx