Indispensable Psychological Attributes

O

Hello Everyone,

Those threads have been extremely helpful in determining my fit for pursuing a Phd path.

However, being in the process or having completed it, what would you say are the strongest psychological attributes needed to follow through? Also, what are the red flags?

Thank you so much!

O

To follow it through: determination and optimism

Red flags:

1.thinking that a first class honours or distinction in UG or masters will make the PhD a smooth ride
2. arrogance
3. not getting on with the supervisor
4. giving up in the second year when morale is low

C

perseverence, patience, being methodical (in particular keeping EVERYTHING filed away so that it can be retrieved 3 years later when you are writing up, is legible, AND still makes sense).

A

Totally agree with everything o.stoll and cc have said. You've got to LOVE the topic, don't just take any old project that you think might be ok, find one that gets you excited. You need perseverance and drive by the bucket load

L

I'm currently working on the ability to ignore my supervisor's direction (without them finding out and kind of making out it was their idea when they question it) as most of what they say is total garbage!
This is for the purposes of self-preservation else I would totally go mad and probably get myself into a lot of trouble by shouting and swearing at them when the supervisor says some very inflammatory/aggravating/annoying remarks about my work, direction of project, or even personality! Nothing is ever good enough, how blimming rude!

At the end of the day you just have to bite your tongue, get your head down and do the work.