Informal offers & hard choices

F

Hi folks,

I've got an informal offer (apparently the formal offer letter is being written) for an astrophysics PhD place - something I've wanted since I was about 13 years old (23 now), and was planning to accept - I've never been so excited about anything in my life.

Today however, I got an email from the theoretical astrophysics group at the same university telling me not to accept the (above) group's offer because the theory group "rates [me] highly" & *might* want to offer me a place too. (Something they can't do until they have the formal meeting, in a week or so.)

I would be overwhelmed and happy with either, though after a lot of thinking I've decided that the first offer would be my first choice. However, I am acutely aware that until I have their formal offer letter in my hands anything could happen. Consequently I don't want to tell Theory that they're second choice until I have a formal offer letter in my hand from the other group.

Any advice? I'm really worried that both the offers are going to disappear into thin air some how and I'll be left with nothing :-S

M

Accept the first offer , then if you got an improve offer , accept that one

F

Thanks Masters. I'm not sure if it is that simple. As both research groups are in the same department, they seem to want a decision before they offer me the places formally by official letter. I don't want to turn one down if the other is going to pull out for some reason afterwards.

M

So, what is the main benefit of your second offer compare to the one you already got.

1)If it is only down to a few more hundred pounds to the studentship , I wouldnt bother with it and just accept the first offer.

Try to delay the first offer as long as possible til you heard from your 2nd offer , that's what I did (but with two different universities)

C

Get in the Door first, worry about the rest afterwards ;)

Regards Wolfe