Initial meeting with sup - what is this phrase?

H

Good morning all :)

So, after finishing my MA diss about three weeks ago, I have begun PhD and had my first meeting with my new supervisor last Friday. All went well and I gave myself the weekend off, planning to begin PhD 'properly' this morning. So here I am, trying to salvage some unused MA research and decipher my scribbled-down meeting notes to make a short term plan.

As my sup was explaining the actual mechanics of PhD to me, I see that I've written down phrases like 'Progress Panel', expected word-count, standards, that kind of thing and then there's this other phrase: 'Work Plan Report' that I can't, for the life of me, remember the meaning of. I guess these phrases could change from uni to uni or department to department, but can anyone enlighten me as to what a work plan report is? It's really nagging at me - damn my crappy note-taking!

Thank you!

K

Sounds like a plan of action, ie an outline of what you will do over the short to medium term. Maybe I'm wrong though, my sup always goes on about 'plans of action' and 'important meetings'. I emailed him last week and he hasn't gotten back to me. I know what I need to do though, so I'll just get on with it.

Good luck by the way, I'm the same as you. I'm away to begin my research today. I have a list of reading to get through and a few targets to achieve by the end of the week.

I will give you the number 1 tip that I wish someone had given me earlier in the process - record your supervision meetings!