Insomnia - how can I stop my brain stressing me out?

K

Anyone got any tips for stopping useless brain activity that prevents sleep? Tried herbal remedies with no success.

H

Read a boring book or watch a dull tv programme or talk to someone dull just before bed time :D

K

Having a bath is a sore point at the moment, as had a kitchen wall knocked down last week that ran under the bath above. Haven't dared to have a bath since. Could try chatting to someone dull, as long as they're not still there when I wake up!

A

Keep paper and pencil by your bed so when you are fretting about something you need to do or you have an idea about something, write it down. It's then in a 'to be dealt with later' list and you can switch off for now, works for me anyway!

I also find the sleep aromatherapy products help too (try the Boot's Sleep Well range or Badger Sleep balm which you rub on your temples).

E

i wish i was in ur situation. I am finding the opposite - i am far 2 sleepy and need tons and tons of sleep. I need something to help with the opposite.

J

he he. me too eatingelephants. how do you wake up early???

K

I still need sleep but can't seem to get it at a time that fits in with the normal working day. Missed my first day back at uni this year cos woke up at 3.30pm after 7 hours sleep. I wish humans could hibernate during winter! Alarms are unnatural in my opinion; if you're fast asleep, your body probably needs it and shouldn't be disturbed. Definitely can't cope with those vicious buzzer alarms. A recent article in Nature has confirmed just how groggy and inept we are on waking, and suggests taking a bit of time to 'come round' gently before doing anything important.

H

yukky

A

Horlicks is yum!!! [Mia, I bet you'd like Horlicks if you had the chance to share a mug with Alan?]

D

What is it about Alan Rickman, I cant see it at all!!

J

I read and it makes me fall asleep. If I don't read I spend the time worrying then can't sleep.

H

I don't think Alan would like Horlicks.

It's evil I tell you!

So is ovaltine (however you may spell it)....extra yuk!

D

My friends called me a paedophile last night because I think Orlando Bloom is the sexiest man alive. I dont understand, he's older than me!

A

Mia, does your hubby look like Alan at all?

K

Thanks for all your suggestions. I just feel a bit overwhelmed and under pressure to produce papers, write abstracts & get lab work done, at a time when I'm in chaos at home due to having a wall knocked down and needing to get a kitchen (have lived without one for over 3yrs). DIY sucks!!