Internal examiner pulled out

B

I am due to submit in a matter of weeks, examiners had all agreed and been approved, and my internal has just emailed to say that she won't have time to examine the thesis while she is on a fellowship and she's too busy.

My supervisor seems too p**ssed off to discuss it at the moment, he sent an email that just said he doesn't know how to proceed and do I have any ideas. The only suggestion I have is a guy who I originally really wanted and who was very compatible, but was too new and hadn't reached the end of his probation yet. I want to try and push to see if he could be internal.

Seriously....angry isn't the word. I am so anxious this could be a massive set back when I am so close to finishing up and handing in.

T

Be glad that your examiner informed you that she can't do the job. My friend just learned very recently that his examiner did not response to any email after 3 months wait on his thesis, so now they have to send his thesis to another examiner ie another 2-3 months' wait for feedback.

T

I doubt it's that much of a big deal really. There much be loads of other academics you could ask. They don't really need to be in your area either. It only takes a day or two to read a thesis. Your supervisor should be able to call in a favour from someone.