Interview advice

S

I would just like to ask the question ‘is this normal procedure’?

I have managed to get an interview to study part-time for a PhD and when I phoned to confirm the date and time with the PA I asked her some questions, it turns out that I will be interviewed by four people, the Professor his RO a supervisor and an current PhD student. After the conversation I was very concerned as I thought the interview was only going to be a general chat about PhD application but it would appear that I will be in for an interrogation! Is this normal? And has anybody else been through this kind of application? Any advice would be very welcome.

M

Stephen, I was interviewed by four people as well when I went for my PhD. Make sure you now your topic well and be prepared to answer at least these questions.

1) Why do you want to do a PhD?

2) Summarise your Masters research project.

3) What challenges did you encounter during you research project?

4) Do you Know what a PhD entails?

5) Why do you think you are suited to do a PhD?

6) What do you think are the best and worst parts about doing a PhD?

7) So you’re interested in X. Tell me what you’ve done in the area and what you’d like to do for your PhD

8) You haven’t qualified for our studentship place; how are you going to pay the tuition fees and cover your living expenses?

9) What attracted you to our university?

10) Hows your current university?

S

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. I will defiantly make sure I can answer all of those questions before my interview on Thursday. :-)

M

There will be more, they might ask you technical questions about your topic too

G

Those are some good questions, MH. Wish I'd been asked them as that may have turned me away and saved me some stress...!

S

I am not too worried about that as the topic is related to the work I have been doing for the lat 9 years, so hopefully I will be able to blag my way through that.

M

When's your interview?

S

Today!!

I have been preparing as much as possible but I feel totally lost.

M

Relax during your interview and be calm... you will be fine. Let us know how it goes.

Tell them that your application is important to you and that your nervous, they will appreciate that your taking this seriously.

S

It couldn’t have gone better :-)

The director verbally agreed that there was a position for me but he was keen for me to start straight away, unfortunately this poses a small problem as I wanted to finish my MEng first and I still have a year to go. He suggested that I could work on some projects in the meantime which I thought was a good idea. All I have to do now is get my company to agree and sponsor me!!

M

Congratulations! What sort of questions were you asked?

S

Congratulations Stephen!

S

Thanks MH I appreciated your advice.

The interview was very informal and I liked the Director from the start, he was very laidback and welcoming. The questions revolved around my past and present qualifications and what my present position in my company involved. I did a bit of a presentation showing a couple of products I have designed, this worked quite well as they were able to talk about some of their projects. At the end we talked about how I would finance the PhD and whether my company would be willing to support me (hopefully they will!) this was followed by a tour of the facilities, which were very impressive. The interview went so well I can’t really believe it. I think that they will change their minds so until I receive a formal offer through the post I won’t be counting my chickens.

I emailed them yesterday accepting their (verbal) offer to start this year and asked what I needed to do next, so I am holding my breath waiting for a reply.

S

Thanks Satchi I appreciate your support :-)