interview at Cambridge?

W

Hi. I applied for a PhD position at the Biochemistry department of Cambridge and the potential supervisor has invited me to an 'interview'. I think there's a 'departmental' one later which is stated in the website whereas the one I'm invited is just meeting the Prof.. what's the difference? What should I expect? (and..What should I wear?)

Any general advice is welcome and much appreciated!

O

"what should I wear" - are you male or female?

See it as an opportunity for an informal chat, don't talk too much, listen and determine whether the professor would be a potentially good or bad supervisor.

K

You should treat it as a time to impress as i know in my instituion when informal chats have occured with my supervisor, he has decided who he wants from these the interview later he used as a formality. So be preapred as if it were the real thing although it will be far more relaxed more of a chat than an official barage of questions. This is only form my experience i could be wrong as im not at cambridge.

W

Thnaks for the quick replies. I'm a male... i've read that for lab-based positions I shouldn't wear a suit.

T

When I was applying I had a few 'informal chats' with professors and then full blown interviews with a panel of people. This sounds like he just wants to get a feel of what you are like, what your motivations are etc. I wore a suit to all of my meetings with potential supervisors. You are never going to be make a bad impression in a suit to an interview, and you can always take your tie or jacket off to dress down. My partner did a masters at cambridge and I got the impression that as a university they love pomp and ceremony, so a suit wouldn't look out of place!

O

Tricky, I always thought you are female!

I wouldn't go for the suit. Try something smart casual, old fashioned.

T

LOL! Nope I am a boy.. or at least I was last time I checked!