Interview Dress

G

I have an interview very soon and can't decide if I should wear a suit or not... help! (I'm male!)

G

If you are called for a formal interview, rather than a casual visit and tour of the department, you can't go far wrong with a suit, better to be over-dressed than under-dressed in an interview situation. If you wanted to look a little more casual, shirt and tie and no jacket would probably be fine too [but obviously, trousers are also recommended! ;o) ]. Above all, wear clothes that you feel confident and comfortable in. Good luck!

G

Ditto Ann
Hiya A. How's it going?

G

What is your field? There are different dress standards according to what you are applying for.

G

Such as? I've wondered about this as I have seen varying dress codes at interviews for PhDs from a suit to really casual everyday wear and wonder what people should wear to these! I always feel overdressed in a suit but luckily there is usually someone else in one as well!

G

Same goes for research assistant positions as well! Well if you look the part it might not matter what you sy (I hope!)

G

opps I meant say!

If you're comfortable in a suit you might as well wear it. It won't hinder your chances.

G

Thanks for the advice. I wore a suit and it was a good move as most of the competition wore suits too. A couple had sweaters.

G

Suits it is then by the looks of things even if I do feel overdressed in one! Esp when you see people turn out in ordinary clothes! : )

See our latest PhD Poll for more opinions.

G

a clown suit. or nothing at all.

G

Good choice ... what about the birthday suit then? Good poll especially the pyjamas option! : )

G

Finally a useful poll! So whose idea was it?

P

Thank you for sharing this post.It is very useful for me also.