Interview for PhD

M

Hi guys,
I've got an interview on Tuesday for an Audiology PhD. I'm starting to get worried that i don't know enough to do a PhD and i'm going to get asked some seriously intense questions in my interview.
Does anyone have any experiences that'll calm me down a bit.
Cheers.

S

There are quite a few posts on this topic, try searching the archive for them. Other than that, what you are feeling is perfectly normal. You are right, you don't know all that much about your topic because you haven't spent 20-odd years studying it...yet! No-one can blame you for that.

I got asked some awful questions in my interview, but i could tell the interviewers KNEW they were awful questions, so I wasn't judged too harshly for giving crappy answers. Good luck for Tuesday, let us know how it goes.

E

Hey Malgwith
I've just had one PhD interview (a couple of weeks back) but was lucky enough to get the place. I was really nervous before mine too and was totally convinced I had no chance of getting it but once I got in there the nerves just left and was able to chat to them quite happily. They did ask me a few questions I didn't know the answers to (some of which I probably should have known) but it didn't seem to matter. In my limited experience they're more interested in your attitude and personality than how much you known, after all they're looking for someone who's easy to work with, not necessarily a genius. It sounds trite, but just try and relax and be yourself and everything will be fine.
Hope it goes well!

M

Emsie , are you reading audiology as well ?

E

no, behavioural ecology.

P

Hey, I had an interview for a PhD 2 weeks ago. My supervisor told me that it would be hard and that they'd ask loads of probing questions etc. However, the interview itself was very laid-back. In this particular occasion, the panel were very keen to know why I wanted to study for a PhD. I worry that I don't think I know enough, but the interview panel and my supervisor do, so I guess that counts for a lot. They (supervisor and interview panel)have obviously seen dozens of PhD students before and my sup wouldn't write a good reference. Do some background reading around the subject, especially those papers by your potential supervisor. However, don't rely on their work, try find other studies which support/argue against thier findings. Make sure you know about the research you are doing at the moment. Sound enthusiastic about your research! I was informed that most supervisors would rather take a 2.1 student with loads of enthusiasm then a 1st with none.

P

So, to sum up: 1) Above everything be enthusiastic; 2) If they ask you a question and you don't know the answer, don't make up some crap. Be honest and say that you didn't understand that part and are discussing it with the supervisor etc; 3) know what the PhD will entail i.e. work hours, methods etc; 4)make sure your knowledge about your own research in watertight; 5) ask them questions i.e. funding, where is a good place to live etc, to show that you see yourself fitting in well. Let me know how it goes!

E

malgwith

Have you been asked to present anything at the interview?

ejc x

M

Hey ejc,
Thnkfully i haven't been asked to present anything so that's a bit of a blessing.
I had a meeting with my potential sipervisor today who put my mind at ease somewhat, but when you really want to do something, it makes you a hell of a lot more nervous!

E

malgwith,

Do you think that is a blessing? I had two interviews for different positions and I was grateful that each time half of the interview was taken up with something I had rehersed and knew about and some questions on the same!

The best thing I did to prepare for my interviews was to track down current/past PhD students from the group and ask them to do a mock interview with me, where they related their own experiences as an interviewee and gave me some insights into the potential supervisor's attitutdes, likes and dislikes, and interests.

If you already have access to the supervisor he might even be happy to help you arrange this - mine was as he knew before the interview that he was keen for me to work with him, and wanted the interview to be a success, IYSWIM.

ejc x

M

Hi guys,
Had an interview today for a PhD. I was proper nervous before going in and for the few days before the interview. They asked me questions about the proposal and my future plans.

The interview went well so it's just a case of waiting for the verdict now.

Thank you to everyone who answered my question, i really appreciate it.

Malgwith.