interview - what to wear?

S

heya,
my partner is soon finishing his PhD in economics. he applied for a job as a lecturer at an English university and was promtly invited for an interview. i'm trying not to get my hopes up too much... it would be perfect if he got that job.
anyway, we were wondering what he should wear for the interview. he will be presenting his work, 45 minutes, and several hours later has the interview proper. in the evening, the candidates have been invited to dinner with some people from the department.
formal suit(with tie??)? or something slightly more casual? would something more 'academic-style', like a smart sweater over a shirt, work? any suggestions very welcome!

A

He should very definitely wear a suit.

J

I've seen loads of job talks in my dept, and the candidates always wear suit and tie.

Good Luck with the interview

H

Suit and tie definitely.

I think women can get away with looking smart without wearing a jacket-suit but guys can't.

H

Good luck to him Shani

T

Yeah def go for a suit..

S

thanks everyone. seems like a clear answer is cristallizing

S

Mmmm, I wouldn't necessarily say a suite - I think smart casual also works - especially if he's giving a presentation to the department - puts people more at ease if they're a bit less formal. But then I work in biology where alot of people are very scruffy, so smart casual is our smart! Economics sounds more suit-y - how does he find it in Economics generally, do the lecturers usually look pretty smart? In my first degree our management lecturer wore a suit to give lectures... but it seems appropriate for management (and he looked real fine!)

S

I mean suit not suite... would be very interesting to come dressed as a sofa and armchair... chuckle.

P

He can't go wrong with a suit. Noone is going to silently think "mmm that guy has made too much effort " whereas he is even slightly the wrong side of casual it will register. Deffo a suit!

Good luck for Shani's fella.