interview

L

So here's the deal: I recently had an interview with a potential supervisor for a project I really, really, really, really want to do. I was very nervous, but the supervisor seemed really positive and gave me really good feedback. He asked me how soon I could start if selected, and even started saying that he hoped I would get the studentship (although he stopped, saying that he was supposed to be objective until he had seen all the candidates). I haven't had the panel interview yet, so now my question is: How likely is it that you will get the project if the supervisor really likes you, and how much 'power' or say does the panel have in making the decision?
Am just tryin to get an idea of how my chances are of getting the project, since I have been offered a job, which I would gladly turn down if I could reasonably expect to get the PhD. Only if I turn down the job offer and then don't get the project I would be proper gutted since finding a job is not the easiest feat in the world, either, and I don't particularly want to starve to death.
Any thoughts?

A

When is the panel interview? If it is soon, I would try to stall the job offer acceptance. I would (if I have not heard anything by then) accept the job offer and then see how things go. I guess you will always have a sort of probationary period for your job, where, if you get the PhD, you can just leave right? I had a similar problem when I started my PhD. All worked out well. Declined job (after accepting) and accepted the PhD. They seemed to be pretty understanding, so no issue there. Good luck!

A

good luck Luziat!!!

I know this nervousness of panel interviews been there done that! but it depends on the field that you are applying to...so be cool(up)

L

Thanks for the good advice. I checked the contract and it does have something about a probationary period in it, so I'll take the job for the time being and see how the panel interview works out.
Thanks guys, don't know what I would do without this forum!:-)