Introduction help please!!

S

Hi all!

Currently trying to write my introduction and really struggling. I am in humanities and i will also have a chapter in my thesis called 'research context' which will include all background info on the topic and stats etc. So i am struggling to know what to put in my intro and what to put in the context chapter. I don't want to repeat myself! So my question is, what subsections have people had in their introduction and how long was the introduction chapter or do you plan for it to be? Mine is currently only 2,000 words and i am lost what else to add...

Any advice very very gratefully received! :)

Sarah

S

Hi Sarah

I would recommend 3 things.

1- Talk to your supervisor, s/he should be able to give you advice based on your topic, discipine & faculty regulations/requirements.

2 - Before doing this, locate a copy of your school's 'Thesis/Dissertation' requirements document. This should be readily available online - if you can't find it, call the graduate office.

3 - If you are stuck at this point, investing in a good 'how-to' manual might be a good way to go. There are many excellent ones - I am sure your library will have a selection. I would personally recommend 'Destination Dissertation' as a good place to start, especially if you are in the lit review/early stages. If you do a search for 'Destination Dissertation' at Amazon, you will also get a bunch of other titles that may speak to you more.

Good luck