is a 2-2 enough

S

hi there
i have a 2-2 and i am really looking to do a masters in sports and exercise science. i completed my degree in SPexSC 2 years ago and have since been working as a gym instructor and PT however i want to move on but most places want a minimum of a first or 2-1. does any one know if i will be able to do a masters with my degree?

thanks
sean

W

Yes, it's enough to do a Masters provided you'll be paying the fees. Funding is very difficult to get for a Masters, even if you have a 1st. BTW, what's SPexSC?

S

oh cool.
funding aint an issue iv saved loads up through work.
SPexSC was my abreviation of sports and exercise science.
do you know what the sort of cost would be if i were to pay for a masters>
thanks

W

These are the kinds of costs you'll be looking at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2009/feb/17/postgraduate-sports-science-courses-table

It might be worth taking a look at the fees pages of particular universities you are interested in as well. Good luck. (up)

S

What do you plan to do after the MSc?

N

As most universities ask for a 1st or a 2.1, I wouldn't like to say that a 2.2 would get you in to any university, but my university requires a 2.1 and there is a student on my MSc course (social sciences) with a 2.2. So I do think you have a good chance of getting onto a Masters course, especially with your relevant employment experience, that shows that you are commited to working in that area; the interview is important as well. I think that you have nothing to lose by emailing the course leaders/admission tutors of the courses you are interested in and introducing yourself, good luck.

E

It's definitely worth asking - maybe email the program administrator/leader before you apply formally, or just apply but make it clear in your cover letter or personal statement why they should consider you; lots of places are willing to be flexible about someone not quite meeting the academic requirements if they are a good applicant in other ways, e.g. relevant work experience. If you were close to a 2:1 or you got 2:1 or first marks in your project/dissertation, then you could emphasise that as well. I think it will definitely help that you're able to self-fund, as Master's funding is very limited and competitive.

Good luck with your applications!

K

Hey! Definitely worth asking I would say. The official requirement for the MSc I did was a minimum of a 2.1 but there were quite a few who got on the course with a 2.2. It was a different field to yours but at the end of the day the universities make a lot of money from these courses and from what I have seen they tend to be very flexible with respect to entrance requirements. So go for it- I would think you would have a very good chance! Good luck, KB

M

Hi,

There will be a way if you persist enough!

I got a 3rd in my first degree and have since completed a masters and intend to do a PhD this year.