Is a PhD really worth it?

G

Could anyone offer any advice? I'm about to finish my MSc but am not really enjoying the writitng up of my project. I ultimately want to work in industry and a PhD would give me a head start with my career. As I'm not enjoying the writing I am now thinking is it worth the pain of writing a thesis to boost the starting point of my career? It's probably worth noting that I do enjoy the practical part my project and the background to it. I just find it difficult to write in a technical manner without borrowing too much(although referenced) from other sources. Any tips for doing that or is it just something you have or you don't?

If it's any consolation most PhD students hate writing up as well. The difference is, that after three years the style will be more or less second nature. Your problem with 'borrowing' from reference sources will also reduce, as your own knowledge of the subject will make it much easier to express things in your own words. Ordinarily we would advise anyone who is in two minds about whether to do a PhD to do something else. However 90% of your PhD will be spent in the lab and the writing skills will probably come with time.

G

i am already working in industry and am leaving soon for a phd. having a phd doesnt just boost your start point - it allows you to progress. without one you will NEVER get to the same starting level as with never mind any higher. If you want to work in industrial research a phd is a must.

G

I think the most importan thing is not to worry too much about the writing part of things. From my own experience, stress is a major factor when you are trying to write your own material. The best way to do things is to come up with an approach that allows you plenty of thinking time. Nobody is born with the gift of writing scientific literature.. we all learn how to do it. The trick is to not get ahead of yourself.

G

"if you want to work in industrial research a phd is a must" - rubbish. It depends which company you work for