Is it a good idea to become a medical technologist after I get my PhD degree?

T

I am an international student. Before I began to pursue my PhD degree, I had worked as medical technologist for several years in my home country. Right now, I am on my third year of PhD in USA. I am thinking of becoming a medial technologist in USA after graduation. Is it a good idea? Does anybody do this way?

M

Message Removed.

W

Ouch, talk about premenstrual aggression.

M

Message Removed.

J

hugs mango

Tony, as long as you get paid and you have your PhD what's the big deal about going forward or backwards?

C

Could you get some help from your careers service, or try searching on the prospects site for info? You could do with finding a contact working in that area.

J

Mango, as we can see from your post above, your boyfriend had legitimate reasons to dumb you, menstruation or not.

S

maybe in post-menstruation, your bf would want you back, mango.

R

I think there would be huge reservations re using your DR title in the medical profession. Med tech with a PhD doesn't equal med doctor. You would have to keep quiet about it most of the time, is this what you want?

J

I have worked as a Medical Technologist for 10 yrs here in the States. While I have heard that in some countries you have to obtain a lot of extra education to become a Medical Technologist, here, in the United States, to be a Med Tech you need a 4-yr bachelor's degree and then have to sit and take a registry exam to become certified. I definatley would not suggest you become a med tech after earning your PhD. This would be backwards in the U.S. It would be like returning to elementary school after completing college! Hope this helps you!