Is it possible to extract/create Endnote library from word file????

Hi. I need to do some post-viva changes on my thesis, but unluckily lost my most recent version of the Endnote library. I have just realised that the only backed up copy I have is rather old, but it contains the majority of the bibliography so it should be still usable. The word document (full thesis) contains all the references I need. Now my questions are:

1) Is it possible to extract or recreate a new Endnote library from this Word file?

2) Is it then possible to merge this newly created library with the old one to create a new updated library without duplicates (I think this part is easier?).

Thank you...

B

Hi, 404.

1) As far as I know you can't do this easily. You need to modify your Word file in order to be able to export to Endnote.  But once Endnote imports you will have all the information of a reference in the title field. You then need to copy and paste the information to the relative fields. I think it's easier to find the references on the web and export directly to Endnote.
If you want to modify your Word document: save as .txt file. Make sure that each reference starts with %T and a space (make sure that Word shows the hidden formatting symbols),  and between each reference there's a blank line.
2) You can easily emerge different libraries and delete the duplicates (Endnote can do this).

Because references were placed into the Word document through Endnote with "cite while you write" method, I was hoping there would be some way to reverse the process. Thank you very much for your answer.

Yay! The 'export travelling library' option worked perfectly. All fields exported perfectly. And the citation codes did not break at all. So, in case anyone else needs this, the solution is here (as copied from Griffith University handbook; oh and even though I have Word 2003, I had to follow the 2nd option):

To recreate your library in Word 2003:
1. Press Alt-F8.
2. Select ENExportTravelingLibrary from the list and press enter.
3. Specify the library and press enter.

To recreate your library in Word 2007:
1. Open word file.
2. Click on EndNote X3 tab.
3. Select Export to EndNote -> Export Traveling library.