Is it possible to transfer to a PhD in the US from the UK?

J

I started my PhD (humanities) in October (self-funded). My problem is that my partner has been head-hunted for an amazing job in New York and this is a once in a lifetime job offer, but I don't want to quit my PhD (we go together or stay together) and I can't afford to do 6 years of the US PhD from scratch including the masters years (I have my MA already). Does anyone have any experience of something similar happening - has anyone/ does anyone know anyone who has transferred to US universities from the UK? Can I finish from New York, and if so would this affect my status as a home student?

I know the best thing is to ask the universities directly, but I want to try and get an idea of other people's experiences before I start making formal enquiries.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

D

Hi,
I know of a PhD student who has relocated to the states while still doing her phd at a UK uni. She uses skype and comes back a couple of times a year. She did talk it through a lot with her supervisors and they all work hard to make it work.
As you said the best thing is to speak to your supervisor and see if you can work something out
Hope this helps