Is it wise to get into a Phd if you are not sure this is what you really want?

C

Hello to all the PhDers (if that's the word!) in this forum. I am now finishing my Masters' degree in Mathematics Education (my first degree was in education) and my university offers a Phd studentship funded by ESRC in a topic that my professors proposed and seems really interesting. My professors encourage me to apply. However doing a PhD immediately after finishing my MA was not in my plans, I was thinking to get some work experience and then see if I want to move on to doing a Phd. Yet, the opportunity to do one is here now, but I think the reason I am thinking about it it's just that it is a good opportunity that may not arise again and not the fact that I really want to do it and feel ready to do it now. Isn't the Phd a big commitment that you need to be so into it to undertake....? I don't know what do u think...

S

trust me it is not a good idea to get into PhD if u are not 200% sure.

P

But then again, if you are 200% sure, you might want to learn some more maths

J

Chrisunique: why are you repeat posting? I thought you had a good amount of advice last time; what is it you want to hear??

Pamplemousse: funny

C

Jayney, it was by mistake that I posted the message again in this thread

J

In which case I apologise. I hope you have come to a happy conclusion...

S

wao...some ppl are so smart and witty......

S

In theory, I think you need to be VERY sure you want to start a PhD, because once you start it, you should to be motivated enough to complete it successfully. If you're not motivated enough, it will probably be a nightmare.
But
if you're very ambitious and...a bit masochist, I'd say: "do it, start the PhD, finish it and get on with your life" even if you're not sure or you think you're not sure.