Is it wise to get into a Phd if you are not sure this is what you really want?

C

Hello to all the PhDers (if that's the word!) in this forum. I am now finishing my Masters' degree in Mathematics Education (my first degree was in education) and my university offers a Phd studentship funded by ESRC in a topic that my professors proposed and seems really interesting. My professors encourage me to apply. However doing a PhD immediately after finishing my MA was not in my plans, I was thinking to get some work experience and then see if I want to move on to doing a Phd. Yet, the opportunity to do one is here now, but I think the reason I am thinking about it it's just that it is a good opportunity that may not arise again and not the fact that I really want to do it and feel ready to do it now. Isn't the Phd a big commitment that you need to be so into it to undertake....? I don't know what do u think...

A

go for the work experience....phd is one of the hardest thngs you will do in your life so you need to be 100% certain....if in the future you do want to do a phd, then you can, there will be opportunties i'm sure.

S

on the other hand, some of the most successful PhDers are those who do not "get married" to their PhD, but rather look at it as a 9-5 job. the PhD need not be such a huge, difficult, life-changing thing (although of course, often it is). so if you have a good supervisor, nice colleagues, funding, an interesting topic, you could do just fine, even without being totally and completely fascinated and committed. or maybe THANKS to not being completely fascinated and committed. it helps to put perspective on some issues.
on the other hand, most likely you will reach a point at some time where you find interest and motivation waning. can you see yourself carrying it through even though?

C

Thank you both for your replies. Shani, I guess for me doing a PhD would be a difficult and life changing thing, since I am not from the UK and I would need to stay here for at least 3 more years to do the PhD, for which I have not clarified yet if I am eligible to full funding or a fees only award (I am an EU student). The experience does sound fascinating and I guess if I get into it I would like to carry it through to the end, yet I don't know if I will have the strength to do that or that I want to follow a career in academia. By the way in my country we only have 5 universities and some colleges and several phd graduates, so I guess the opportunities to work at a university are somewhat limited and this is another thing that troubles me.

J

This may be a bit simplistic but it seems to me that without the offer having arisen you would have been more than happy to start work and would not have really thought about taking up a PhD. If this is pretty much the case then don't do it - you can always do this in the future but it doesn't seem like you are very into it to me? If it helps any, I didn't think I was capable of doing a PhD but wanted to. While I was doing my MA my Sup asked me to apply. It was out of the blue and the best news in the world for me, but I still needed a little time to consider it...

Good luck - let us know what you decide!

C

You might be right Jayney, I would be happy to go on to work after finishing my studies without considering about doing a phd now. However, I must admitt that the idea of doing one, even in the long-term, has been in my mind time after time, to a great extent because I think I have the academic capabilities to do it, and this is what most people around me, professors, friends, family, seem to believe and expect from me. It's like when you feel you are meant to be someone special and you should be, despite the fact that sometimes all you want it's the ordinary life of a teacher for example. I don't know if you fully understand what I mean, as you see I have the ambitious part of my character fighthing with the one that just wants to follow the easy path:)

J

Ooh I do know what you mean. I also have expectations on me; I am torn between following a noisy 'big career' in London or being a content potter and a writer... the latter to the disappointment of others!! I think you should always do what makes you happy. Don't do something just because you feel you should or because you can. Maybe if you know you 'can' do it, doing something else more personally challenging is what you want to do...

J

...rather than doing what is percieved as traditionally challenging. Also, do remember that doors don't necessarily close when you turn your back on them. Maybe there is a compromise in there somewhere that you haven't considered? Maybe do it extra mural while working, or talk to your sup about getting some work experience for a couple of years then coming back and applying? Maybe you need to ask around a bit, get some more information about different options... Maybe a work placement will sponsor you to do a PhD, either soon or in the future? I hope you do what is best for you anyway, not what is for other people.

J

"I think I have the academic capabilities"

Heard this sentence before. Usually from people who expected the PhD to be as smooth of a ride as their previous school years, Undergrad studies or Master studies. People who subsequently did not manage to complete a PhD, were taken by surprise when they realised it is so different and perhaps harder compared to anything they ever did and subsequently gave up.

Don't want to sound too negative, but the PhD is not meant to be and rarely ever will be the icing on the cake of high achievers. It's a different challenge which may not lead you toward success but deep into the lonely halls of research. Be clear about this.

M

Someone once told me that to be successful at PhD level, you must have a true passion for your subject matter, and without that passion it's very unlikely you'll succeed.

Personally, I don't wholly agree with this as I don't have a particular passion for my PhD subject, and many other PhDers do not either. However, I do have a great passion to complete my PhD.

Either way, the word 'passion' crops up when talking about PhDs.

So if the prospect of a PhD has not really been at the forefront of your mind, and it's not something you're immediately passionate about, I'd recommend you give it a miss for now, or at the very least, give the matter a huge amount of considered thought.

C

Hello all and thanx for your replies in this thread. It seems like I made my decision...for now:) I was giving it so much thought I was getting tired! I even completed the online application for the phd and written-up a research proposal (not the best I could write)...but I have noticed that I was doing all these without excitement or something...so eventually I did not send the application! I guess I wasn't feeling ready or so into in afterall I don't know. I hope I wont regret it in the future!:)

P

then good luck in your industry career !

Y

I would not recommend it. It might well be one of the biggest decisions of your life. The PhD is not what you might expect, do not compare it to any other form of study. I decided to take one based on very little knowledge of what I was doing, though I am finding it very difficult to get motivated, sometimes its good, sometimes I want to quit. Make it easier on yourslef and select the best supervisors and topic - research this before you begin. Get yourself mentally prepared and I would recomend taking time out for year, I wish I had - I feel bound to another 3 years. Maybe your different.

A

I think your decision to go to industry is wrong. If you can receive a PhD position you must take it, because you may not have another chance.
Man, who work in industry about 1 year and more, don't return to science at all.