Is it worth the waste of time?

G

Finishing my MSc next month and have a 2i BSc. I've been searching and applying for PhD's for months. People can't be bothered replying in most cases. So you call and call and call (after e-mailing a few times) to find out that the place has been filled or that there is no funding. I've just got too sick of it that can't be bothered e-mailing, calling or filling forms in.Why is it this hard to get a place when you meet their criteria and why don't they reply to requests?

G

Just stick with it mate, thats all i can say. I agree that it is a lot of work, and you're often wasting your time cos people just wont get back to ya. However, it sounds that you have all the right qualifications so you should be getting interviews at least. Try and get a good CV sorted and that should put you on the right track.

The problem is that the number of studentships is not unlimited. Being qualified doesn't guarantee a place. If you are having problems getting replies try writing to the 'enquiries to' address in the departmental information rather than the supervisor.

G

I wonder if universities and individual supervisors realise how frustrating and disappointing we all find the underhand, unfair, illogical and convoluted process that they use to choose PhD students? This site tries to suggest that applying for a PhD is like applying for a job, with a simple advertisement, application deadline, interview and offer or rejection process but the evidence from prospective students indicates that this is not the case.

G

Nepotism, internal promotion or offering jobs to speculative applicants who have ‘formed a relationship’ with a potential employer is becoming less common in the workplace because people are aware that it does not recruit the best candidates. We would all appreciate it if universities published an admissions policy with a set procedure, code of conduct and equal opportunities statement and employed a modern, open, fair, straightforward, merit based approach to attracting and retaining high achievers who will in turn benefit their institution.