Is PhD still possible for me?

Z

Hello All,

I am 37 and finished MSc by Research. In 2006, I decided to do something in my life and for my life taking a BSc course which I finished in 2009. I was probably the oldest student then, not interested in research at all, but due to problems with getting a job--recession etc., I decided to ask my ex-supervisor for opportunities to work at the uni I graduated from. Because there was a vacancy available for a students considering MSc by Research, I took it as a job. My new supervisor gave me that position rather for the same purpose than actually for a research. I was not doing anything towards MSc for long time. I eventually realised what MSc is but there was little time for proper work. I could not end up with a comprehensive project for my thesis, although managed to do research, finish the project, and write it up in Thesis. However, now I am personally in stress that my work was not done properly enough to obtain the title.

When I started the research for my project, I understood how much time I lost. On the other hand, I found it really interesting, many times challenging but motivating and giving me satisfaction, especially when some bits were successful. I could spent hours reading and studying my problem. I really enjoyed being able to compare other researchers' conclusion with mine. The problem was only time, much less time than I needed.

I would like to ask you about your opinions whether it's still possible for me to start PhD. I am afraid that at the moment I could probably lose time. My age, probably my MSc score and my thesis (when I am asked for it) might not work for me. I would be grateful for your honest opinions, no matter what they are.

Thank you

C

I've worked in industry and academia and started my PhD at 36 and have just had my viva at 40. I know plenty of professionals that are of the same age doing some form of postgraduate qualification, so certainly age is not a barrier! I cannot comment on your Msc Score or thesis other than the fact most people worry it won't be good enough until they get the result. I don't however know what the criteria is for accepting students on to a PhD with a Masters, as I was accepted through my undergraduate degree and professional experience.