Is there a chatroom for PhD/ Post docs?

B

As its quite isolating and solitary, I was wondering if there is a way to have an online irc group chatroom for PhD students and postdocs? Or is there one that exists, you all hang out on and I am missing.

If I have to spend one more day with the intellectual highlight being Rita from accounts complaining about moving house I may need mental health services.

O

We've been waiting for years but the webmasters chose to ignore their original promises of designing a chatroom for the PhD students.

O

Dear Webmasters of the Postgrad forum,

how about a statement/update on this particular issue.

Thanks

Dear o.stoll

We weren't aware that a chat room had been discussed since you registered in June this year. I wonder - are you in disguise?

Dear badhaircut

We did have plans to add a chatroom to PosgradForum. We decided that keeping discussions in a public forum rather than a private chat room was more inclusive. I'm afraid that this means we won't be adding a chat room facility in the near future.

C

In a similar vein, is there a FORUM (NOT chatroom) for post-docs or PhDs waiting for their viva or PhDs waiting to officially be called "Dr."
Is the section "PhD life" designed to encompass people who are not quite finished but who have left their department?
I'm not trying to cause trouble, I'm just asking (I caused a riot on another forum for merely discussing adding a section)!!!

S

Perhaps cc, but would there be enough visitors to make it work. Speaking of which, dear PGF Team, bearing in mind that the Off Topics section is not too burdensome in terms of the number of messages, can we have it routed into the "Latest messages" page?

Hi,
I am afraid it is not possible to include off topics because post grad forum is reserved for post graduate topics.

Sorry for any inconvenience

PGT

Hi there CC,

The section 'PhD Life' is designed for PhD students up to and after they have completed thier course.

Regards Postgraduate Forum Team

S

we can establish a msn group

T

spiegboy i think you have a fantastic idea!

H

ermmmmm we already did this one.