Is this normal for Phd Program

J

Sorry, English is my second language.

Well, I am now studying Phd in foreign country because am working there. I submitted and defended my dissertation proposal before got into the program last year. I am now studying course works 8 hours on Saturday. This is my second semester. I already have assigned advisor and talked to her twice during formal meetings. At the time, she did not like my dissertation topic. Therefore, I changed my topic. She suggested me some interesting topics and asked me to conduct lite review.

I have learnt a lot from my course works and always occupied by weekly assignments. Meanwhile, I feel like my dissertation go nowhere and am scared not to complete it on time. I suppose to graduate in 2012.

Is this normal that during course works, there are so few progresses on dissertation? What are your strategies to handle assignments and write dissertation at the same time!

P.S. I am also working fulltime. Please don't tell me to quit my career :)

Thanks alot :-)

T

I'm not sure Jun, where are you studying? I myself don't have any coursework to do, plus I'm on a full time phd. Do you only have the weekends to work on your topic? If so, finishing by 2012 does sound rather ambitious, do your uni know you're effectively a part time student? I think there are ways of managing your time to balance thesis and other work, but if the problem is that you simply don't have the hours then no amount of structure will change that. I take it all the coursework is essential?

J

Hi Teek!

Thank you for your response! :)

I am now working and studying Doctor of Business Administration in Thailand. For my dissertation, I would like to focus on Organization culture, Management Practice and Organizational Commitment. I have over 100 articles, journals, and dissertations on related subjects on my inventories. However, I've read about 20 articles and not write anything constructive yet ;-)

Again, this is my second semester and so far I have studied 4 management course works and only 1 research course work focus on how to write chapter 1 and 2.

I must admit that I feel like wasting time doing all course work assignments. Many assignments are not related to my dissertation topics

What do you think? Does this sound like I am behind the normal schedule? 

P.S. I pay for my education and need to graduate on time because there will be extra fees to keep my student's status. No, I don't want any scholarship, I was a graduate assistant for my master. Now, I would like to work full-time to gain some work experience.

T

I'm afraid I really don't know Jun, as I don't know what your schedule should be as my area and country are very different. Are there are other local students you could compare notes with on this? Or could you talk to your supervisor about what she considers your main priorities?
If the coursework is madatory then I guess you just have to do it, if it's optional though you might want to be selective in which courses you take.
I didn't start writing until my final (ie - third) year, but that was because I'm lab based and was doing experiments until then, I'm sure for you it's quite different.

Best of luck!

J

Thank you Teek :-)