Is this research hypothesis/philosophy/approach?

L

Hi guys,
So I'm still trying to get a phd position, and at the moment I'm re-writing my proposal to some extent, just to make it better. Now, I've got this issue:
Basically, what my proposal is about, is using a technique A on a type of problem B in the context of application C. Now, currently, the technique A IS used on problem B, but not in the context of C - it is used in other contexts. The reason I'm suggesting to use it in context C also, is because I'm drawing some parallels between the context C, and other contexts. Now, this suggestion of mine...to use technique A on problem B IN THE CONTEXT of C because it has worked well in other similar contexts....would this be called my research philosophy, or approach, or hypothesis or what?

Now, additionally, technique A can be implemented in different ways. For example, you could use method A1 to implement technique A, or method A2, or A3, etc. All these methods are the same class of methods (i.e., all end up implementing technique A), but vary sufficiently enough to be easily distinguishable. Now remember that technique A was being used to solve B in other contexts...well, the researchers are using, say, method A5 to implement A...but I'm suggesting to use method A3 (because I'm saying A3 is faster/cheaper). Would this be called my research philosophy or approach or hypothesis?

So, to recap, my contribution would be proposing to use technique A USING METHOD A3 to solve B IN THE CONTEXT of C. What would be my research philosophy/hypothesis/etc

I'm really sorry to use A's and B's and C's, but it would get complicated if I used the actual engineering terms. Any help is HUGELY appreciated.

C

Without knowing anything about your field, it sounds to me like your approach would be something like 'to apply method A3 to problem B in the new context of C' and your hypothesis would be something like, 'Method A3 can be used to solve problem B in a new situation, context C'. You could say you want to test two different hypotheses: 1. 'Method A can be applied to solve problem B in context C' and 2. 'Method A3 is faster/cheaper than other A methods in solving problem B in context C'. Hope I am on the right track!

L

Hi chickpea,
Yes, I agree with your idea about saying I want to test two different hypotheses - it makes quite good sense with what I'm doing. I think I'll use that.

Thanks! :-)