Issues with PI Supervisor

I

Long time lurker, first time poster here. So, my situation is that I am a PhD student on a funded research project, and am not clear how much autonomy I actually have regarding the scope and methodology of my research. My thesis was prepared by my Supervisor as part of a larger research project, and he appears to think my role is one of a Research Assistant, often refers to me as an employee, prescribes exactly what I should be working on, what tests I should carry out, what conferences I should attend, papers I should write etc. By doing so I feel I am missing out on opportunities that have arisen along the way, as well as feeling more and more detached from my work. I am also expected to carry out unpaid project work which relates more to other student's PhD research and represent the team at project meetings. The situation has become increasingly tense, and a recent attempt by him to hand over a testing regime which I developed for my own thesis to one of his other PhD students has become extremely confrontational, with my challenging his right to do so. Just wondering how this compares to what other PhD Researchers on group projects have experienced, and if he does have the authority to act as he is?

T

Hmmm. I would say this is a clash of expectations on both parts. Some students would be happy with what you are describing, because their supervisor has a lot of input, but obviously this isn't what you want. Your supervisor may be used to working this way and doesn't realise you want more autonomy. Or he may think he needs to tell you what to do, because you don't know. Have you discussed this with him? It is a bit odd he refers to you as an employee.

This wasn't the way my research went, but then I was the only one working on it. In my lab, there were several collaborative projects that are exactly as you described - one student did something, then the others used it. Or people were helping with things that wouldn't actually be in their thesis, but they will get their name on another student's paper for it. I think this is fairly normal really.

In my current lab, I was given a set of objectives as a postdoc and can address them however I like. My supervisor will often ask if I can do some other things though and will lay out exactly what she wants done. Some of this relates to PhD student work.

Generally, your work belongs to your university, so your supervisor can share it as he sees fit. You can check this in your university handbook or online.

T

Hi Imp. I agree, it seems like you have different expectations. Some PhDs are like RA positions (so I have heard - mine isn't). Are you in a position to raise this with your supervisor - do you have the kind of relationship where you can have a discussion like that?

In the working world (where I am from), that is normal. There is an issue / misunderstanding / different expectations - you talk about it. At least that is how it was in the company I worked in. In academia it does seem to be a bit different... But if you ARE able to have that discussion and talk about your expectations (in a non-confrontation way and expressing that you appreciate the opportunities you have been given + what you've learnt so far etc but...), maybe it would be worth trying that?

I

Hi Treeoflife, thanks for taking the time to respond. It's good to have an objective external view, and I will definitely try talking to him from the perspective you have suggested. I do appreciate how lucky I am to have such clearly defined objectives and methodologies, but feel that I could be bringing a lot more to the project myself.
Rereading my own post, I should have qualified in relation to the tests, he is actually prohibiting me from proceeding with them and passed them on to one of his other PhD Students to do instead. This effectively means I have spent the last 3 - 4 weeks planning and documenting a methodology for the benefit of another student's PhD. I have no problem sharing resources and methodologies, and in their repeating these tests at a later stage, but believe that this current instruction is completely unreasonable. It appears to be a case of his favoring the other PhD research area more than mine, and is using my research, ideas and our shared resources to progress this research at the expense of my work.

D

I agree with Treeoflife. At least in biology this is quite common. You apply for a funded project, therefore there is usually already a project proposal or at least a rough plan. You might have scope in how you address the respective objectives but it is usually not completely up to you. I think that's fair, as your supervisor is at least paying for the materials you are using to conduct your research. It depends a bit on the supervisors. I also had a clear planning when I started but my supervisors are open to input and some things will be abandoned while other side projects will arise. Simply depending on how it goes. Other PhD students will maybe use stuff I've done or I will help other PhD students with their experiments (really large experiments are sometimes just not feasible for one person) but in return I will then have my name on their publications if I contributed. I think that is pretty common for a biology PhD. Letting other PhD students continue with projects you started is maybe not nice, but it happens. As long as your supervisor acknowledges your contributions to that project by including you in potential publications I see nothing wrong with that. However, especially if we are talking about the establishment of a method in the lab, then this is just how it is. It would be a bit stupid to let 5 people establish the same method. We have one student here establishing Crispr/Cas for a certain organism and I am sure once it is working, other students will use the method as well and use his results to save themselves time.

I

Tudor Queen, Dunham, thank you both for your replies. Your suggestion that I request that my name be be included in any publication is very helpful and I will certainly do this. I'm still not sure I have clearly expressed the situation regarding the test issue though - essentially there are 2 materials which are the subject of 2 PhD Theses. I have devised a series of tests and a dissemination plan for my material over the past 2-3 months, which is central to developing and promoting my Thesis. My Supervisor has now taken this plan, prohibited me from carrying it out, and handed it over to the other student for thesting their material. I am therefore left back at square one regarding a plan to test my material and progress my Thesis, additionally all available project resources will have been expended on the other material and I am likely to have to fund my own testing myself - is this really acceptable on an academic research project?

I

I should also note that feedback on my progress and work to date has been excellent with a lot of interest from industry, and not so with the other student, so the reason for my test plan being transferred to their project may be to boost their profile on the team. Also, I have been advised by the Dean of Research at a recent progress review to take ownership of my work, but am struggling to do so with current restrictions on my autonomy.

D

I am convinced that this is unacceptable on a number of levels, if what you are saying is true. The issues you raise are many and I personally think the University's Human Resources Department and the Student Union have an interest in multiple separate issues here. Not to mention external agencies such as the Department of Labor (state/federal). Quite often when it comes down to it many of these things cannot be proven as the expectation that you will do (a) in response to the supervisor's support (b) is obvious but not written down or official. I suggest you access policy documents about employment and supervision arrangements and check what documentation you have in case things go sour. For example, referring to you as his "employee" on e-mail or in front of colleagues (witnesses) is a bad look if you are a PhD student only and are funded as part of a government program or you are a full fee student as opposed to a fee-waiver student assistant. There is much 'slavery' and abuse of position in academia. Hang in there! All the best - Jay

T

Hi, Imp. All these sounds wrong, especially the handing over of testing regime. Do you have a co-supervisor or another independent person on your team you can ask? Also, can you speak to the Dean of Research on your problems and strategy to take ownership of your work? Better yet, can you ask the Dean to be your co-supervisor? Sounds like you need someone with authority who can say "no" whenever necessary to your main supervisor.

I

Dr Jay Jericho, Tru, thanks for the replies, suggestions and support, it means a lot to me right now. In relation to other Supervisors, unfortunately my 1st, 2nd and 3rd Supervisors were all appointed by the PI, who has their full support. I've contacted an advisor in the Grad School asking for clarification on the University's policy in relation to Research PhD Projects, have an appointment this week, so hopefully will understand my position better after that. I have been careful to document everything, so have plenty of notes and emails as proof of what has been going on. I think the input of an unbiased, objective third party is probably essential to resolving the situation, but from what I have heard of academic practice, this will be difficult to achieve, and our working relationship may be so damaged that it will be difficult to proceed with the project. I have considered just accepting my situation and proceeding as instructed, but am worried that so much has been taken from my work that I will not have enough to defend my Doctoral Thesis.