Job applications ?

R

When do you generally start applying for jobs:

a) While writing up the thesis?
b) After submitting the final draft?
c) After the viva?
d) Depending on company deadlines? (but some take applicants all year around).

Thanks.

S

I think for a lot of people it depends whether they need a job to support themselves or can go home to parents or partner or have other means. I won't apply until after submission but probably before my viva, but others in my year are applying now because they need a salary when their grant runs out.

Z

I'm applying right now because my grant is about to run out - but it's a tough old world out there without a PhD!!!

P

'but it's a tough old world out there without a PhD!!!'

Dude, trust me.. it's a tough world *with* the PhD and if you want to work in industry, you can face suspicion as to 'why you did a PhD' and academic jobs are like gold dust...

I applied 9 months before my funding finished as most of the vacancies were advertised a long time before they started... PLUS, a lot had 4 stage applications... an application form.. an interview... a group assessment center... sometimes 2 assessment centers... this took time.

Depends on the industry but I would make damn sure that as *soon* as your funding ran out, you alredy had a job you could walk into.. so I would start looking about 3 months before your funding runs out... as if the worst happens, you could always overlap...I did for 2 months...