Job Interview presentation

J

I've got an interview for a 0.5 job next week and found out yesterday that there is a presentation to do on improving student satisfaction, there are only 10 mins. I know this is a key aspect for many unis at the moment and some (including the one where the interview is) have had pretty rubbish results in the National Student Survey. The department where I work (full time) is really small - a team of 2 in a department of 10 and we (the 2 of us) had fab NSS results. Do you think it is Ok to refer to these good results or does that sound like boasting? I am going to link it to what we have done (and therefore what I can do at the other uni if they give me the job)

Was going to list the other stuff I am going to cover but then thought that someone on here might also be going for that job...

haha, I'm not, you know what mine's about :-) (am so nervous and I've still got a week!)

Not sureabout the NSS results. I'd mention them, but don't include them on written material maybe.

B

In my opinion you should definitely refer. I think it doesn't sound boasting. In any case it's better boasting then understating.
Good luck!

you could phrase it to sound less boasty

E.g. by implementing these, we raised our NSS score from ..... to....

P

I'd definately mention them if you're going to expand on it the how's and why's of it all. It's relevant and positive.

I'd just be prepared for a potential curveball when it comes to student satisfaction through the NSS. I spoke to a HoD who thinks it's a daft measure. They tried giving more chances for real constructive feedback long before major exams and hand in dates and they still scored low on the feedback and satisfaction. Hardly anyone ever turned up to use the feedback sessions that were provided but plenty marked them down for not doing enough.

P

I thought the whole point of a job interview was to boast about how good you are - and if you were part of a team responsible for good results then you should definitely refer to them. There is so much competition out there for jobs that you have to boast but not in an arrogant way. If you can show you are the best person for the job and back it up with tangible evidence then they will be impressed.
Good luck.

J

Thanks for the comments

I put it in as Exceeded subject averages for Teaching, Assessment and feedback, Academic Support, Organisation and Management and below subject average for Learning Resources (outside our control !) and Personal Development (and have then said why I think this is the case ad what actions I have taken to address this).

I think the interview will be 10 minutes presentation and then the rest of the time will be largely about the presentation (that way they will pick up lots of ideas of how to improve the score from people who don't get the job) beacuse the job is largely about improving student experience with a bit of subject teaching. I'm going to be specific about what bits are down to me as (in my industry days) I used to get really frustrated with people saying we did this and we did that - they are looking for one employee not the team adn so they need to knwo whether it was me or someone else.

Trouble is it is only a 0.5 and I ma the main breadwinner in our house so it woudl be a huge squeeze financially (although it would mean more PhD time and more time with family)

J

Quote From peljam:

I'd definately mention them if you're going to expand on it the how's and why's of it all. It's relevant and positive.

I'd just be prepared for a potential curveball when it comes to student satisfaction through the NSS. I spoke to a HoD who thinks it's a daft measure. They tried giving more chances for real constructive feedback long before major exams and hand in dates and they still scored low on the feedback and satisfaction. Hardly anyone ever turned up to use the feedback sessions that were provided but plenty marked them down for not doing enough.

Great minds think alike - I've already covered that in (with ref to ther leter in teh times higher a couple of weeks ago when a dept who came top said it was not a good measure) but we do have to recognise that parents will look at things like that...

P

Quote From jepsonclough:

Great minds think alike - I've already covered that in (with ref to ther leter in teh times higher a couple of weeks ago when a dept who came top said it was not a good measure) but we do have to recognise that parents will look at things like that...

(up) It's a pity that Uni's insist on plastering their rankings in it all over undergraduate material and websites but they're over a bit of a barrell I guess. Like you say the prospectie students and their parents are going to give it a look.

Good luck with the interview :D