Job offer before submission - can I do it?

I have been offered NHS PgDip training in Radiotherapy and Oncology in Practice, which will qualify me as a radiotherapist - something I have wanted to do for a long time. There is a critical skill shortage for this profession in the UK, so it should lead to a job at the end, especially if I have a PhD as well. Trouble is, the training starts in September this year and I am hoping to submit my PhD thesis early next year (January 2010 is my 33 month point). I am sure most of my practical work will be done by September (no consumable money left anyway), but my concern is, can I finish writing up and start the radiotherapy training? I am already 200 pages into the thesis (fully referenced and formatted), so could get the bulk of it done prior to the start of the course if I dig deep over the summer. I don't really want a deferral, as I am getting on a bit at 37 years old. Another problem is that I haven't told my oncologist supervisor about the offer yet, although he is aware that I applied, and I will need a reference from him very soon. Any advice please? Cheers, Ginga x :-)

S

I would talk to your sup - he'd have to know anyway. Jan 2010 is still an early submission (and realistically you may take longer) so I do think it would be challenging. Only you know whether you could do it - but it would be a shame to risk both the thesis and the dip. Could you postposne the dip? You're not THAT old - I'm 10 years older still:p

J

I would go for it. work hard from now until September, make a detailed plan of what you need to get done from Sept to Jan to keep yourself on task, then you will know where you should be by the end of each month. If you need to take a bit more time as you go along at least your overall plan will tell you how you are doing in the greater scheme of things. Tell your supervisor as soon as you can I bet they will be pleased for you.

S

It'll be tough but I agree that you should tell your supervisor. Saying that my supervisor (who puts the fear of God into me via his eyebrows), said that to fund the last year of his PhD he did a PGCE (back in the 70s). Even though it was not as intellectually demanding it was the sheer volume of work required to do training other than a PhD that should be avoided...

I guess it depends on your other commitments such as family, relationship etc. Tough but doable under the right circumstances

S

Ginga, at 200 pages you're almost there already so dig in and get it finished--you've done well to have so much written up already. If you have no new results after September and you continue writing up as you go along, then you should have no problem submitting before January 2010. Good luck!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your support. I think I can go for it, and I will talk to my supervisor as soon as possible. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Best wishes, Ginga xx