Job offers and extension year

P

Hi all,

I've just been offered a full time researcher job at a top 5 ranking university. Yay! :) It is however dependent on a good reference from my supervisors and I'm just hoping they provide me with a good reference! I haven't heard from my supervisors yet about it yet (which doesnt sound good!).

I've just accepted it as I want to start thinking about getting a mortagage and buying my own place in London. I also want to return to my psychology roots so this position will be ideal! I'm also on the verge of getting back into debt again, so this job will keep me out of debt! :) which is particuarly important considering that my funding has just run out!

Now I'm starting to worry! This job is full time and I'm wondering what kind of influence it will have on my PhD! I am however, virtually finished with most of the quantitative analyses and most of my literature and methodology chapters (but probably will require some serious edits).

Just curious as to what other final year/extension year PhD students have done. What's it like juggling full time work with completing a PhD?

I'm gathering that I'm going to be mega busy for the next few months with not much time for anything other than work! but I need the money coming in as well as for my own sanity- I want to do something different from my PhD!

my husband has just gone into full time work and is finishing off his PhD. He saves up flexi time, so he can take off 2 days a month to do PhD work (so he combines it with a weekend to get 4 solid days) - although he works very quickly so 4 days is enough. He also puts one evening aside each week to get work done. Then he relies on me to proof read and point out any problems he needs to sort out :-(

he is also using all his leave to do PhD work - but its only 1 year.