Jobs/ Carers after an EngD

A

======= Date Modified 06 Mar 2012 22:35:51 =======
I am fairly new to this forum, but I would like to outline my current situation.

I am well over three years into my EngD and since the first year I have taken an active role to work on existing projects with my sponsoring company. This has been extremely beneficial for both sides and for my EngD, whereby I am gathering real practical data. I am now on my fourth project, which requires me to project manage a new systems development to the business- which is great ! Whilst all of this is necessary for my data collection, I am having to spend almost 5 days a week straight on this and I don't get any time to write up my thesis nor analysis. I am only able to squeeze about 4-5 hours of sleep during the weekdays. Considering the role I have at work this is quite difficult and thus need good rest in between.

Q1
Is anyone else in a similar situation. If so, how do you cope with this? I simply cannot tell my sponsoring company that I need to take 1 day off a week- this PM role will never work in this case.

Q2
When do you approach your company to ask for a permanent position (presumably you want to do this well before you finish the EngD with a date in mind to start)?

Q3
Have any graduate EngD's started of a non-graduate role career (with/ without their sponsoring company)- I would dread to go down the graduate route. I am already signing off some objectives for Chartership.

One thing, I am confident in is that I don't want a full on academic career. I have tried to maximise the EngD by taking MBA modules in past years etc. I must say though overall I feel my skills are pushed to the limit and yes can be quite enjoyable, however like all jobs the downfalls do exists- I try to ignore them!

Any help would be great and many thanks for this

D

======= Date Modified 26 Apr 2012 16:21:21 =======
Welcome to the forum. I'm a current EngD student and am nearing the end of my 4 years. I have investigated your questions in the past.

1. I am not in a similar situation, but I am aware of others on my course that are. You must speak with your academic supervisors if your work is overwhelming your EngD.

2. When you apply for a job you normally allocate a start date. You may apply a year in advance, but I would not recommend it as HR will likely forget or ignore it. Applying within a month of when you want to start is normal.

3. You are not destined for a graduate role, so don't look for one. You should look are roles that require 4+ years experience. You can apply to senior roles.

The EngD is not intended for academic careers so you've made a good choice as your interested in industry. The EngD will make you stand out and highlight that you are a leading engineer. The EngD also satisfies the requirements for chartership so apply near the end of the EngD or soon after.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have anymore questions.