Jobs in industry - is this all worth it?

R

Evening all,

Sorry to have an attitude like the grim reaper but was wondering for those who have almost come to the end of their PhD (or nearing it) what is the job market, aside from acamdemia like. Though I've still a relative new starter I really think by the time I've finished (if I ever do) I would have had enough of academia by then. Primarily due to attitude of some senior academics I've met recently (sorry trying to keep an air of mystery surrounding identity so don't want to say anymore). What I'm wondering if being a PhD graduate (presuming I make it) and almost 29 with little industry experience... Would I be able to get an industry related job or straight in on a graduate programme? For that matter, would a graduate programme even take someone at 29 (six years after UG had finished)...

My PhD is in the sphere of Business and Management.... I think I will be ready to go back to academia a few years after but the thought of spending my life from now reading articles fills me with dread, and would almost rather get out now than prolong experience and heart ache (which I'm currently experiencing).

Thanks in advance and be gentle!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

Hi Rebel

I can fully relate to not wanting to continue in academia and get a job elsewhere - I too have had about enough, with 6 months to go. I don't know about private enterprise, but having come from a background in the public service, you should easily be able to get onto a graduate program - 29 is not old. We had grads in their 40s starting, people wanting a career change, so don't worry about your age. Lack of experience could be a bit more detrimental tho, and you might want to think about taking on a bit of part-time work, or getting some experience in this area, before you're on the job market.

R

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your response. When you say industry experience, how would people advise getting these whilst in the midst of doing a PhD? (sorry not meaning to be dumb!). I am currently teaching part time (6 hours a week) at a local college, coupled with undertaking a teaching qualification (is a fall back option...). Just wondering where I could fit it around? Is my uni likely to have some information?

Rebel

S

======= Date Modified 08 Dec 2009 02:59:26 =======
If you're teaching and studying, then that's going to keep you pretty busy! Maybe you need to rethink teaching, if you don't want to be an academic? But another option is to look for internships over semester breaks - my uni advertises these, and I know a lot of the professional management/accounting type orgs take students over the holidays. Your uni should have a careers centre that has details of these types of things.

B

Have you contacted the careers service at your university? They should be able to give you good advice, based on your personal circumstances, and the job market in the area you're looking at.

R

Bilbo... Not yet. To be honest right up until Christmas I've up to my neck in assignments and deadlines. I presume the careers service is confidential?

I am having the same issue and thinking about graduate programmes - makes me think why have I bothered, I could have just gone in after my undergrad and I would be on a much bigger salary by now! Have you considered the civil service fast stream? I think I will be applying in the new year, as although I would love a research job, there aren't any in my area at the mo.

R

No I hadn't Sneaks... Good pay/prospects/conditions?

Well I think its about 25-30k to begin with. You tend to stay on the fast stream for 3 years or so. By the end of your role you have to have worked in three key areas, policy, operations(e.g. immigration) and corporate services (finance/hr etc). and then you get spat out of it as a grade 7. The civil service grades go AA, AO, EO, HEO, SEO, (fast stream spans the HEO-SEO grades) 7, 6, senior civil service. So you are one step away from senior civil service and being like Sir Humphrey lol. I would say its a very good programme to get an all round 'education' of how government departments work and would make you extremely employable once you have done it - the 'fast streamer' badge is quite sought after. There is a lot of flexibility, so you can work at the department of transport  8-) or the foreign office.

It is however, very competitive!

S

======= Date Modified 08 Dec 2009 09:59:11 =======
Hi Rebel

I worked in the civil service (or public service, as it's called here in Australia) for 15 years, and yep, the pay, prospects and conditions are all good. The civil service is generally a good employer. It won't make you rich - if you're really ambitious then the private sector would probably suit you better - but if you have just a reasonable amount of ambition, then the civil service isn't too bad. But the cliches are true - bureaucracies are slow, monolithic beasts, you need to be able to take direction from many levels, and sometimes the work can be just meaningless. A management/business PhD would be pretty well regarded, I would think.

oh and conditions are pretty good, as its public sector, so you get flexi working, dress down fridays etc. none of this 'I was in at 6am and stayed until 11pm so I am better than you' private sector rubbish

R

I've had a look at the fasttrack scheme.... V. competitive but something I'd consider. Are there similar jobs within local government - aside from London?

I think there is a local government fast stream as well - not totally sure though. The big departments tend to have regional offices though.