journal re-prints?

I have an article that was originally published in 1986, but was re-issued/printed in 2004.

Which date do I reference?

(gift)

E

I would put both dates (if the article is exactly the same) with a slash between them...
e.g. emmaki 1986/2004

I've seen it being used.....

Thanks Emmaki - I've given you an Xmas star :-)

B

In the text it's as Emmaki said. In the references you reference only the first date.

E

Quote From blue:

In the text it's as Emmaki said. In the references you reference only the first date.

Are you sure?
Because I have just seen a reference list with both dates....

B

Yes, I'm sure. Reprint is not a new edition. The content is the same and it should be referenced with the original publication date.

E

Quote From blue:

Yes, I'm sure. Reprint is not a new edition. The content is the same and it should be referenced with the original publication date.

OK....

I just want to ask something else.
When you have the same article in two different publications but in the same year, what do you do?
It sound complicated so I explain further.
I have a chapter in an edited book and the same chapter in another edited book in the same year!

C

======= Date Modified 20 Dec 2010 10:23:30 =======

Quote From emmaki:

When you have the same article in two different publications but in the same year, what do you do?
It sound complicated so I explain further.
I have a chapter in an edited book and the same chapter in another edited book in the same year!

I think, if you're sure the two chapters are absolutely identical, it would be best to choose one to cite as the main source and cite the other as 'other availability' in references. Para below comes from the Brit Standard for referencing (BS ISO 690:2010) which covers most possible convolutions. If you pm your email I can send a copy.

"15.2.7 Other availability information
Information on any other locations or forms of the information resource may also be given. This information should be clearly separated from information which refers to the location of the actual information resource cited, and should be preceded by the words “also available” or an appropriate equivalent phrase.

EXAMPLE Also available in PDF from: http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/services/elib/papers/other/pinfield-elib/elibreport.pdf"