Journal submission - how should I go about this?

A

Hello all,

My supervisor said I should submit my newly finished chapter to a journal. The journal's American and has absolutely minimal submission guidelines on its website, with no address or contact details. My supervisor said just send it off and see what happens (she knows I'm a worrier and need clear instructions) but I don't know what to do.

Here are the factors:
a)I checked at the post office today and they said it would cost £5-£10 to post the article (it says on the website to submit paper copies)
b)I read in a book about writing for publication that it's always a good idea to check with the editor before submitting (but I have no contact details for him, and it seems kind of rude to google him and email him if the details aren't on the site)
c)If I just go ahead and post it like my supervisor told me, what is the standard address - should it go to the press that publishes the journal? With maybe 'FAO Journals Editor' or 'FAO Editors of Narrative' on it?

Please send help guys; I'm really ashamed that I keep running to my supervisor for helpwith every little thing.

V

If you have prepared your paper according to the journal's guidelines that are on its website and in general your paper is OK (as I understand your supervisor thinks it is OK), then just send it off.

BTW, are you the only author of this paper? If your supervisors name is on it as well, you might be able to post it from your department with no expenses for you. Ask superviser.

In general, I dont think that contacting the editor is a good idea. because, imagine, an average journal usually receives hundreads if not more submission a year, and if everyone will want to contact the editor before submitting....s/he will get crazy. Not having editor's email adress on the journal's website is for a good reason:)

Post it to the adress that is on the journal website, if not: Editors name, journal name, publishers adress

Good luck!

A

thank you so much :)
good tip about getting the department to contribute some postage: they might actually do this if I ask tomorrow!

A

wondered if it is worth looking in a hard copy of the journal? I know *everything* is on the web these days, but poss if details were very sketchy there might be a bit more info in the actual paper journal - even if only a clear address to send submissions to (AFIK it is common to send to the editor at their address (eg uni department) rather than through publisher)

good luck with it!

A

Don't worry about contacting journal editors with queries about potential manuscripts, that's what they are for! Far better to contact an editor if in doubt, than to waste time (yours and theirs) by sending your paper in the wrong format etc. Editors are usually very helpful (well, all the ones I've ever contacted have been). Good luck with your paper submission.

A

I tried to look for a paper copy of the journal but my library doesn't have it. I think I'm going to send my stuff to the publishers of the journal with the editor's name on it, as a hopeless compromise.