Journal Submission Rejected

S

I've just received an email from a journal editor I submitted a paper to saying its been turned down...tere are too many papers of the same topic around and they did not think the paper offered anything new conceptually...

I was half expecting it as it wasn't originally a paper written for submission but just evolved into it....but now it has been rejected, I feel really deflated....

The author from the journal was actually quite nice about it and suggested submitting it elsewhere although not really sure I want to given that it is likely to be rejected again - if I feel this bad after one rejection, surely I'll feel twice as bad after 2!!

Any advice?

Hi Sarah, I haven't submitted anything for publication yet, although I hope to soon, and am not looking forward to this sort of thing. All I can say is that I expect the rejection-re-submission experience is probably, hopefully, one of those PhD things that is massive and difficult at first, and then becomes an everyday, water off a duck's back thing.

My instinct would probably be to re-submit, after all, you've already done the work and it's only your ego that's going to need extra attention, and it might be accepted anyway; I wouldn't lower your standards though, still go for decent publications. What does your sup think about it?

S

I'm not sure yet - am off to see sup later this morning...will let you know!

Yeah, think I will re-submit...it's just a bit of a kick in the teeth when you are told you're works not good enough. Oh well, today's another day....

N

I agree 100% with Eska and think you should re-submit. I know it'll be another blow to your confidence IF it is rejected but you never know, it may well be accepted.

Good luck with it all :-)

J

Hi Sarah,

Try not to take the rejection too badly. I've had a couple of papers rejected (from the same publication), and the first time it was heart wrenching. But if you try to not look too deeply into it, it's really not so bad. I re-submitted both articles into other, equally decent publications and had them accepted with only minor corrections, and put straight into special editions! I just figured my work isn't what this particular journal are looking for, and if others are, then it's their loss.

If the editor was supportive and suggested a re-submission elsewhere, go for it! You have nothing to lose in trying!

Good luck!

P

Hi Sarah85.
A lot of people have their papers rejected at some stage in their academic career, I even dare say that everyone at some point has to deal with rejection with their papers/proposals etc.
I think you should definitely re-submit your paper elsewhere, but at the same time, take the comments you have received on board. Is there a way you could rewrite (sections of )the paper to make it more orginial or more relevant? Getting papers published is an iterative process and re-working your paper should make it better, and a better paper is more likely to be accepted (at the right journal).. Don't give up, all the best.

S

Thanks everyone - I'm feeling a lot better about things now....I'm going to have a play around with it, redraft a couple of bits and then re-submit elsewhere...

Thanks for all being so nice - just to keep trying I guess! Fingers crossed for next time!

:-)

W

Hello, Sarah85. Often, having a paper rejected is not a question of it's quality or your talents, it's more a political thing. It's happened to me with submissions for conferences. From the description you give, it's definitely not your fault. Imagine, if he/she'd have said, sorry it's really badly written and conceptually flawed? The editor obviously thinks it's good enough for publication, of that there is no question, and has suggested submitting it elsewhere. I hope you do submit it to other journals and see what they say. At least you're at a stage where you can write material of an acknowledged publishable standard, you've got that skill, and that's more than half the battle. So, well done, I say.