Just accepted a PhD!

R

Hahaha! Sooooo excited. I have been waiting for this moment for so long and it is the most amazing feeling. I know my supervisor is fantastic because i've already worked for him for the past 6 months, I can carry on living at home and i'm really close to all my friends (Had been looking at phd's all over the country). Had to do a little dance at the computer when I got my email!
I'm such a keenie, I can't wait to start...!!!

P

Congratulations Rookie. It's good to think back to that feeling when you get accepted to do a PhD and remember why we are all doing it in the first place.

T

what topic is it? and you will be working at home.. interesting

O

why would it be interesting to work at home Tomfinland?
I live with my husband and we live about 15 mins from my folks. I think not having to move saved so much hasssle. I did my undergrad 200 miles from home and much prefer being around my family and friends.

R

Its in the field of conservation biology. I won't be working at home as such, but at least I won't have to live in grim student digs again!

O

And grim student digs are not a great place to live! I can attest to that. You are fortunate indeed to get the PhD of choice and location of choice. I miss being at "home" doing my PhD work. Yes, there are benefits from being in the UK and at the university and not distance learning, but there were also massive plusses being in my community, with family and friends and so forth. Having ties to home is nothing to sneer at, its important.

L

congrats!

C

Well done! I recently accepted a PhD from St Andrews with a case partnership with Kew gardens. Went to Kew the other day and it all seems so interesting.. want to fast forward my MAsters! What area of conservation biology is it? The reason i ask is thats the filed i am in.. where will you be based and whats your project?

Mine is the integration of phylogenetic diversity and trait diversity into the allocation of conservation hotspots.

R

Wow, that sounds an interesting project. Working at Kew will be amazing I imagine. Mine's on sustainable pollinators in UK agriculture. You gotta love the beeees!! Its based at Leeds because they do alot of research on organic and inorganic farming there.