Just passed first year viva...but with negative comments

L

I have found the whole experience very overwhelming. Panel was pretty tough and questions tricky. I ended up crying all day yesterday bacuase even though I passed, comments were pretty negative. Issues that were brought up were - initiative and the fact that I have mostly been doing directed research until now and they have concerns if I will be able to conduct independent research. My topic is too broad and needs to be narrowed down. I was hesistant when answering some of the questions. Some ideas for new methodology to use. That I need to "step up" if I want to complete a good quality thesis.

I'm going to take a week off as I don't feel like facing anyone. While the viva itself wasn't too scary, comments were a lot harsher than I anticipated. I am considering quitting and need to give this some serious thought.

S

Hey I am sorry you didn't have such a good expereince. However, I don't think you should quit without taking any time out to review everything with a clear head. Also although it seem bad now, they would not have passed you if they didnt think you were doing something right! Maybe you should use it as constructuve criticism so your project will be even better and will benefit from their comments

M

I am sorry to hear that, but you may be too harsh on yourself. If they dont think you got the potential to complete the PhD programme , they would not have passed you . Also why look at the negative prospect , I am sure there are some positve comments as well . Be postive

C

I've had some bad exeriences too on my yearly reviews. I ended up finishing my PhD but wanting to leave academia. I established that academic criticism can be very hard to take, but that my advisors were harsh on me beyond a viva and on a personal level one in particular was very insensitive and lacking some social skills! I would try approaching someone more friendly for advice [postdoc/lecturer].

L

I've talked to my only supervisor today and she said that I shouldn't be too hard on myself and it all went fine - few concerns don't mean a disaster. I'm already being appointed a supervisory panel, rather than just 1 supervisor, and a more senior member of staff offered to see me if I need more advice/clarification.

L

The thing that really concerns me is that my primary/only supervisor didn't really pick up on those issues. I always got comments that everything I do is great and very rarely any criticism. Obviously my work is not as good as she has led me to beleive. And now, when she sees me blaming myself, while she is supportive she never says anything about this being partly her fault - and it definetly is. Have I been alerted to the standard of my work not being that good, I would have definetly worked more on improving it. I'm really hoping that this new supervisory panel will help.

V

Sorry to hear about your negative experiences with viva. However, it doesnt look that it is so bad. Despite the topic being too broad you still passed, so it means you HAVE done the PhD level research. And at this stage it is the most important thing. About being independent, maybe you could re-read your last paragraph...It is time to take responsibility for yourself and your research.

V

I meant-your last post not last paragraph.

S

I think there are some positives to take from this

As I said to you before the panel seems to have asked questions which have been aimed at telling you where you are going wrong and directing you properly

Everything they have done, it seems (to me), is to make sure you do become more directed, and maybe that is a criticism (by them) on your superviosor anyway- they are now making sure you are well supervised

As for blaming your supervisor - this could fall in to the category of why you didn't question it either, and you needing to be more independant - I'm not saying it to be harsh, but I wouldn't waste energy blaming someone for poor supervision.

S

But as everyone else says, don't take it so hard, give it some time

hopefully in a few weeks it'll be all a distant memory - but make sure you take on board what they have said about becoming more independant - if your supervisor is inadequate at this stage, you will need to take a lot more responsibility for your project

good Luck

S

L

About being independent - can anyone explain what does it exactly mean?

I'm aware that I have too much face to face time with my supervisor. I have meetings with her pretty much every day. But it's HER that has set this pace from the start and always schedules next one at the end of the day. I have even tried to slow this pace by saying things like "I don't think that there is anything important to discuss this week", but she just looks confused. So I'm not one of those students that's pastering supervisor constantly, although it might look that way to an outsider. If she has set the pace of one meeting per month, I would have found a way to work around that. I have also thought often who in their right mind says no to extra supervison? Panel was also kind of stunned by the frequency of meetings. Not to put the blame on anybody, but quntatity of supervison doesn't equal quality.

L

OR does being independent doesn't have so much to do with this but more me taking the direction/ideas about my project in my hands rather than being mostly directed by the supervisor? I'm confused by what being independent means. Should I push the issue of less frequent meetings with the primary supervisor further? (I have already asked her today if we should meet less frequently and she said NO - but maybe she is just being polite). She was even happy to remain my only supervisor before the viva but she was pushed by the panel into getting two additional people.

S

hi lostinoz, i'm sorry to hear that it didn't go too well. but as others have said, from what you wrote, it does not sound all too bad! so give yourself some time.

the question about what independence means is tricky. i think there is in principle no problem with frequent supervision meetings. it all depends what the meetings are like. i'll try an answer here: independence is about working on something until YOU are satisfied (rather than until you've met someone's expectations). independence is about figuring out for yourself if something is good enough. that's hard!

S

so what is the supervisor's job then? i think it's NOT to tell you if any bit of work is good enough. of course she should encourage you and keep an eye out to see if you are, in general, on the right track. but as it is YOUR project, only you can really say if you are on track!
instead, it should be the supervisor's job to help you in figuring out for yourself where you are going and if you can be satisfied with your work. to help you develop criteria, learn to be critical of your work, learn to leave the safety of the coast and explore the unchartered deep ocean where no land is in sight! she can't/shouldn't guide you across the ocean. she SHOULD give you the tools and the confidence to cross it by yourself.

S

as has been said independance is really about you taking responsibility for where it is going

And also when someone asks you questions about why you've done something - you can't be of the opinion you only did it because you were told to - you need to know why you've done it, what it means , what you hoped to find

It is a lot and at first year probably too much - as I said before you are probably the same as most folk at this stage, but you do need to start to develop your own ideas

as for meetings, the are fine if you want them, but you should use them to really disect the work you are doing. You might find if your supervisor is inexperienced she will enjoy the challenge of lively discussions about your work - don't be afraid to ask questions