Just started new PhD and don't feel like I'm getting anywhere

A

I started my science PhD in Sept 08, however I just feel like I'm not getting anywhere with it. I've done several experiments and am reading quite a few papers, but I don't really have any direction. I know PhDs are supposed to be very much self directed etc and I don't have a problem with this, but I feel I should have at least some input from my supervisor (we have only had 2 meetings so far). I'm just worried because no-one in my group seems very motivated, and everything just progresses so slowly. Just wondering if this is normal for the first year of a PhD or whether I should be worried as most people seem to have far too much to do not too little?

M

Hi Amanita! Im also first year and yes all u can really do is experiments and read around your project research area..but I must admit that Ive had guidance from my supervisor, u need to work together to achieve a positive outcome as ur success is his success too! u really need to initiate the meetings with him or her, they might b very busy, but 2 meetings since u started is definitely not the right way forward, u need to see him weekly if u can, just to keep up to date and give u some guidance at least as to where ure standing!!sorry i keep assuming ur supervisor its a him, lets call him or her X, well and its pretty normal to feel 'lost' at the start, we are all in the same boat trust me, there is so much to take in, what i do, is break up the topic into loads of sub questions and research these, read around the topic and take notes which def help me find answers and improve redesign my experiments by trying different things! hope u get to meet X asap and set things straight so u know where ure standing :) all the best!

T

======= Date Modified 16 Jan 2009 10:16:13 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
HANG IN THERE AMANITA! IT IS VERY DOABLE! I FELT THE EXACT WAY WHEN I STARTED MY PROGRAM...FOCUS ON WHAT YOU DO KNOW, NOT WHAT OTHERS DO! IF YOU WANT MORE STRUCTURE, IMPLEMENT IT YOURSELF! COME UP WITH A PLAN AND ASK YOUR ADVISORS TO ASSIST YOU WITH IT! YOU CAN MAKE YOUR PHD EXPERIENCE WHAT YOU WANT TO MAKE IT!

S

Hi Amanita, it's perfectly normal to feel lost during a PhD - I still feel lost and I'm in third year! Remember that you've only been doing this for a few months, so it's going to take you a while to get up to speed and find out what's been done already etc. They don't give you 3+ years to finish for nothing!

As for not having direction, remember that it's your right to see your supervisor - don't feel guilty or embarassed about asking for a meeting, or asking for more information on what to do and where your work is going. Yes, a PhD is an individual project, but it requires input and advice from someone much more experienced and knowledgable, ie your supervisor. Explain your worries to him/her clearly - maybe it would be easier to send an email first outlining your concerns, and then you can discuss it in a meeting? You could maybe ask for some sort of written research plan that could be modified/added to as you go along?

All the best! :-)

S

I think it's a bit unusual to have so little unput from your supervisor for a an experimental science PhD (I get none - but I've gone to the dark side 8-) )

Bit worrying that you say the whole group seem to be slow and drifting - sounds like a serious lack of leadership from your sup all round. Looks like you are going to have to be more proactive about getting meetings and feedback on ideas - say explicitly that you need to develop some sense of direction and would like their feedback - but throw out some ideas to get them talking.