Keeping track of paper work

M

How do others keep track of notes /paper? I have been told that using a logbook is not the best way of storing notes as it means in order to find some notes at some later date requires knowing when the originals were written. A loose leaf ring binder was suggested as a better alternative, does this not open up the possibility of things becoming separated and possibly lost( paper in ring binders always seems to rip around the whole punch area)
Does anyone have any better suggestions of ways that work for them
Thanks
Max

M

Personally I use a mixture of lots of methods. I have a logbook for meetings with my supervisor. I do most of my own explorative work on sheets of paper which I then collect together into little plastic envelopes (not sure what they're called but they're like two plastic a4 sheets joined together on two seams). These then get collected into files in the filling cabinet or box files or even just stacks on my desk depending on how far progressed they are. Before they get filed I write a mini report on anything interesting in them and this gets typed up with LaTeX and saved and backed up! Usually they are categorised pretty easily and put together by category with a cover sheet. Hope this helps!

I cannot use 'real paper' I use microsoft one note and that means I can scan stuff in, use screen prints and write notes - you can even write them in your own hand writing. If I took a picture of my home office floor you would see why, thousands of papers, all with muddy dog paw prints on (or just a muddy dog on) all out of order and in disarray!

M

Hi Sneaks, thanks for the reply. Can I ask you, how do you find using One Note? do you write directly into it or do you find yourself writing handwritten notes first and then copying them into One note?
How secure is the data once it is in there, can it be backed up into a format that could be read by other software.
I have seen a student version available for £12 and am considering buying it, but would like some feedback from someone who uses it first hand before I take the plunge ( I am sure Microsoft's description on their web site is totally un biased;-) )
Thanks
Max

I think you can use it with other program - definitely with the other office programs and I think you can make PDFs etc. I use it a lot for screen prints e.g. a scentance from a book in google books, which i paste into my 'discussion' note page.

I use it with both comments I type AND hand written notes I put in later. You do have to use it as your source for everything - well in my case, so its all in one place!

I don't know why you would have to buy it though, it should have already come with your office package? - have a check in your start menu program list.