knowledge of bristol uni

A

I have accepted a PhD position at Bristol anatomy dept. I'm really scared! Anyone studying there now, or have been there and can tell me anything about the place?

C

My Brother did a Msc at Bristol though it was in the geographical sciences so i can't say much about the anatomy department, however i will say the University is situated in the heart of the city in a nice area all along park street.

I wish you the best of luck.

Regards Mike F

W

Hello,

I did my undergrad in the dept of Anatomy at Bristol, I'm assuming you will be based in Southwell St. I loved it. Love the city, love the uni (wish I could have done my PhD there!). Are you moving to Bristol specifically for the PhD or are you there aleady - it's a lovely place to live esp the Redland / Cotham area (or Clifton if you're feeling flush!).What area is your PhD in?

A

Hi, Thanks for the replies! My PhD is in Neuroscience, when I went for interview the city seemed quite nice but it's hard to tell just from one visit!Did you know any of the neuroscience profs? I'm quite excited but also a bit scared because I just don't know what to expect!

W

Hiya,

I might know some of the neuroscience people, depends what area - that wasn't my undergrad course but they did mix about a bit. My undergrad dissertation was neuroendocrinology if that's any closer! Will you be based at the vet school in southwell st or somewhere else (not sure where all the neurosci research is done). I remember going to see Bristol on a couple of open days before I started, it rained, both times so I didn't get that great an idea of the city. But I personally think it is a fabulous place, Redland is gorgeous, Clifton is lovely. The bars down Whiteladies Rd and Park St are ace too. There's also the downs at the top of Whiteladies Rd / Blackboy Hill which are brilliant to escape too when you need some fresh air. I really enjoyed living there and fortunately still have friends there I can go and visit so I can escape London for a bit. Any questions feel free to throw them in my direction, as you can tell I am slightly biased though

M

Hi ,

Did you not meet your project supervisor during the interview ?

A

Yes, masters, I spoke to my project supervisor for 20 minutes on the day of interview.

A

Hi Walrus, I think it is based in Clifton, that is where I stayed and it took me about 10-20 mins to walk to the interview place anyway! Is that the expensive part then?

M

If you can stand your supervisor for 20 minutes , there is nothing to worry about

W

Clifton is a bit pricy but plenty of students live there. The main uni bit is around Park St and the Vet School which is were the dept of Anatomy is mainly based is on a street called Southwell Street. I'm not sure if that bit is classed as Clifton but it's all quite close anyway. The student union is in Clifton. You can walk to the main uni area (vet school, medical school (with medical library) etc) from Clifton, Redland, Cotham etc. (If you have a look on a map you'll see, I'm not explaining this very well) What topic is your PhD in?

W

Ah, just re-read your post. I see you stayed in Clifton (there are some halls of residence round there it wasn't at one of those by chance?). Yeah the main area of the uni is about 10-15 mins from Clifton. Redland and Cotham are areas on the other side of the uni from Clifton if that makes sense.

J

Good on you, I'm Bristol born and have just finished my masters from Bristol although based at the Langford site. Love Bristol lots going on good campus and shopping down at Cribbs is good. Much better now than when I was a youngster. Post graduate society is very active and there are lots of events that go on.

Good luck