Last 6 months, motivation.

A

======= Date Modified 23 Apr 2012 09:55:53 =======
I'm finding it really difficult to keep working at the moment. I have less than 6 months left but have had enough - it feels as though my brain wants to move on to another project. I don't want to be an academic which probably isn't helping me to stay motivated. I do definitely want to finish though. I suppose that it's a case of mind over matter. Does anyone have any tips?

D

I'd say I wrote up in less than six months and so I hope this helps. I made a clear plan of all I needed to do and decided to aim for at least 500 words a day. It doesn't sound a lot but equals about 15,000 words per month (my writing was of good quality though). I was able to tick off my achievements and this made me feel good and encouraged me to keep at it. Very honestly, for me the hardest part was starting...

There is a one goal thread which you might find helpful as people motivate and encourage each other.

Others find a tomatoes thing helpful but I've never tried it.

I hope it all goes well.

A

Thanks. That thread sounds useful. I should have given more information: I'm working on a history thesis and already have a full draft. It's the refinements and editing that are difficult because I would quite happily hand it in now.

D

No problem. Yes, many people find that thread very useful.

Remember, you've by far the bulk of the work done. Just give yourself that final push.

Good luck!

B

Amber, I only have 5 months to go until my funding stops and am nowhere near a full draft so you're well ahead of me!! I don't intend to stay in academia either but the thought of being nearly at the end is keeping me going...just think, the sooner you've done your redrafting, the sooner you'll be finished and free to do whatever it is you want. Can you bring your submission date forward - working towards a tighter deadline might motivate you more?

Delta - it gives me hope that you wrote yours up in 6 months! Am hoping I can do more or less the same! :-)

D

BusyBee, I hope you can. I actually didn't find it that stressful and just had writers block on one occasion but someone on here got me through that with good advice and I was fine the next day. I love listening to music and so I always had music playing while I was writing and I knew I wanted to finish at the same time as the funding. I just got into a frame of mind where I knew it was something I was going to have to do sooner or later (no getting away from in) and so I just got on with it. I didn't work a massive amount of hours every day but when I worked, I was extremely focused and productive.

You can do it!!!

P

I'd love to hear any tips from anyone - in the same boat: heading down the back straight, all going well, but more distracted and less focused than I have ever been... I can't find any replies to this topic, although it shows 5 people have answered, which is a shame - I'd love to know what the collective wisdom has been so far!