Last push for the PhD

J

Hi Guys,

I know there's loads of accountability threads on the forum, but I'm not sure which I fit into at the moment so thought I'd make my own. Join in if you're in a similar situation/ don't know where to go/ just want to join in for the hell of it.

So, I have three weeks till I submit my thesis, and 9 weeks till my Viva (viva date already set as my external travels lots and we had to keep her in the country!). I finished writing on Friday last week and am now checking through my thesis for mistakes/ omissions/ format, etc.

My aim is to read a chapter a day (taking 9 days, give or take), doing changes as I go along. This gives me the last week to panic. Perfect.

So far today I have reached my goal, and am now working on job interview prep. (up)

Tomorrow is chapter 2. :-)

P

Hey Jinkim, I am also submitting in the next few week and am, like you, reading through my work for errors etc. I am finding quite a few inconsistencies with spelling - and I had thought I was good with that - ah well, it is all fixeable. One week sounds good for final panic with printing, binding, handing in etc.. ;-) That's what I am working towards as well, and maybe even submit early... We should go for a virtual drink once we've submitted(sprout)

T

Well done both of you! I'm painfully far from your stage (in work if not time - bad combination!) but thought I'd stop by to wish you luck anyway :-)

W
J

Thanks Teek!! I'm sure you'll get there... we all do eventually!

Poppy, I think a virtual drink is definitely in order... maybe the mods will give us a little cocktail image (hint hint, nudge, nudge)?

I'm finding that at times I write ridiculously long sentences. Also found today that my page margins changed halfway through... that caused some headache after changing them back to normal, and my thesis suddenly grew by like 10 pages!! As if it's not long enough as it is!? Ha!

J

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

You can do it, Jimkim65: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk

Love it. Actually really love it! :-x

B

I'm impressed at you lot rereading so much to check for errors. I was a bit slack on this at the very end of my thesis writing, and a few slipped through to my submitted thesis. I have a list of them to take into my viva in a couple of weeks. Though admittedly it's not an enormous list.

Good luck for the last push!

J

Today I have so far done no thesis work :-(

I have, however chosen my outfit for an interview tomorrow, filled in the millions of forms they want me to take, and I've also nibbled on some toast, which went cold in the process of choosing outfits and filling in forms. Hmmm.

Onto Chapter 2 now...

J

Yay... chapter 2 has now been read and spelling mistakes rectified... I was quite pleased - it seems to be a pretty good chapter, although I don't remember writing half of it!!

Gonna start with chapter 3 today as I fear I won't get the chance to do it all tomorrow (stupid interview).

I will treat myself to a cuppa before then though... mmmmmm... caffeine.

C

Hi Jinkim, Poppy and the others on the last leg. . . I'm on about the same deadline, but not quite at the typo stage. Still have a lot to do and far too many external disctractions. Can't work out if I'm excited to be so close to the end or completely scared of what I still have to do...the PhD rollercoaster goes on, and on and on...

Good luck everyone - it's good to not be the only one doing this to themselves!

CG x

J

Hey Cakegirl. I'm sure you'll get there. I have tonnes of distractions too but you've just got to keep pushing through!!

I'm officially behind on my thesis reading and checking. Interview last week and a very social and fun weekend has left me 4 chapters behind target. I've got through one already today... tackling my largest chapter now... then should hopefully have the whole thing read and ready to go by the weekend, ready for supervision meetings next week. Hopefully.

Watch this space...

J

Right, I'm back on track. I've gone through 5 chapters over yesterday and today, and have only one chapter left to read through and check. So far I'm relatively pleased with myself :-) Although this final chapter has so far not been checked by anyone and so I expect it to be rather rubbish.

Going to treat myself to a bubble bath before tackiling this one tonight, which frees up tomorrow completely to prepare for my interview on thursday!