Last whinge ever about sup!!

K

Arrrgh, the woman will not leave me alone!

So she's hacked off that I'm moving away, she's made that pretty obvious. But I just got an email (I'm about 36 hours away from my viva!) with a list of things I need to do...things she needs copies of (by Wednesday for some bizarre reason- the day of my viva), telling me to clear my office out in the next fortnight, that my email is about to be cut off, that she wants a copy of another paper I've been working on (again, by Wednesday), and a whole load of other things that need doing. Okay- I get it, I need to clear off and tie things up properly. But does she really need to email that to me now, of all times?!! Couldn't it have waited for another two days until after my viva? It's almost like she is trying to stress me out!

On the plus side, this should be my last ever whinge :) because the viva might well be the last time I see her!

Grrrrr. Evil to the last! KB

B

Lack of social graces to say the least....as to the rest.....what a harridan! Can only sympathise, go get her in the viva and wave two fingers on leaving I should say!

Sounds like you need to get started on that voodoo doll KB x

P

just ignore her demands, she is throwing toys out of her pram. You've got to look after number 1 right now, so do what you need to do for your viva. You are a researcher in your own right now, you do not need to put her in front of you anymore.

Big hugs x

S

Ignore her. Do exactly what you would've if she hadn't emailed. She can't really do anything now as she isn't actually your boss at all.

W

I agree with Pink, she is just trying to get into your head. Don't worry about her deadlines unless they are critical to your viva prep and blame e-mail/computer/not caring for the delay in your response.

I know you won't miss her KB but I think some of us will miss the interesting posts about her. She makes for quite a bit of forum drama-it can be really good for taking one's mind off personal issues at times. Good luck with the viva but somehow I reckon if her form up until now has been for creating drama around key events, then she'll have some post viva issue to haunt you with...some people just create stress and havoc with their personalities without even trying.

D

Could just switch off your email and pretend you never saw it, kind of satisfying to let her stew a little lol. I hope your viva prep is going well and you are able to focus despite these insensitive demands. Good luck tomorrow and I like many others will be scanning the forum to see how it went (up)

A

agree with all the others - def ignore her and her emails. She seems to have tunnel vision and obviously never filters her requests or demands before she sends them. She needs to tell you 'x' so she does, no matter what else you may have on your plate like the little matter of a viva! Best of luck tomorrow and I'll be keeping an eye on here as well to see how you do - brilliantly I'm sure (up)

K

Thanks all- she will just have to wait for what she wants I think!

I am pretty much done with the viva prep now and planning to have a chilled out evening. My viva is at 2.30pm if everything runs to plan. My external is only due to arrive at the uni at 1.45pm and I'm nervous about her train being late/cancelled etc, especially because she's coming from a city where the riots over the last few days have meant some train stations have been closed (not London, but another city that's been affected). So I guess I will have a result by late afternoon or early evening, will post as soon as I can!

Feel strangely calm...guess the nerves will kick in big style tomorrow.
Thanks everyone for all your support. Best, KB

C

Keenbean,

I am late (daughter at home from nursery with another bug), but I just wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow.

Don't be upset about your supervisor. Mine sent me a text the night before to say "good luck" (perhaps in the hope that I would fail?!), and this after he took a year to read only 3 (three) chapters of my thesis. As you can see you come across people like this. Luckily I didn't check my e-mails until the evening after the viva...

Anyway, you will be brilliant as usual, just go there and knock them all out! (up)