Late Submission of PhD thesis

L

Hi all,

I hope to get some advice from you all.

I have been working on my PhD thesis for the last 7 years.

It may look like a lot of years, but I have been a part-time student almost all my life.

I haven't submitted because my supervisor (who doesn't have a PhD) have not been able to advise me on a number of issues related to the data collection, among others. I have struggled all by myself, and have made errors along the path.

I have asked my university for extensions quite a number of times and they have agreed. Recently, they sent me the termination letter (!) informing me that I would be considered for Mphil but if the committee agrees to accept my thesis under exceptional circusmtances, then it would be at their discretion.

My questions are:
- Has it happened to anyone in UK? or US?
- What could the exceptional circumstances be?
- Could not having a good supervisor be considered a major reason to accept my late submission?

Please advise. If you know people who are in the same boat, I would appreciate hearing from them.

Thanks.
-

B

I have heard this happening before especially since universities have been audited on their submission deadlines. Before universities were quite happy to take money and have perpetual PhD students as cheap/ unpaid researchers. Now many departments want to cut away their "dead wood" by palming off weaker students with MPhils.

From my understanding exceptional circumstances usually means something along the lines of developing a life threatening medical condition or are in a car accident. Or your lab has burnt down. They are there so that freak occurances don't penalise students.

However, not having a good enough supervisor probably doesnt count. Its not a recent development, questions should have been asked a LONG time ago, and an action plan should have been negotiated. From bitter first hand experience it is unlikely anyone will give you any breaks for having a crap supervisor.

L

Thanks for yor post.

Based on my search, it seems that universities accepting PhD students after 10 years is still possible.

See below:

http://gradpsych.apags.org/2008/03/cover-doctorate.html

and this :

From: ERIC http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=EJ773713&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ773713

L

Title: In Humanities, 10 Years May Not Be Enough to Get a Ph.D--But Overall Rates for Finishing Doctorates May be Better than Thought, New Data Show
Authors: Gravois, John
Source: Chronicle of Higher Education, v53 n47 pA1 Jul 2007
Publication Date: 2007-07-27

Abstract: This article discusses the timeframe of programs of doctoral study. By the time the 10th anniversary of their enrollment in a Ph.D. program has rolled around, about 57 percent of doctoral students have their terminal degrees in hand, according to new data from the Council of Graduate Schools. Perhaps the most interesting of the council's findings is the suggestion that the 10-year mark may be too early to write off some students as "noncompleters." In some fields (mainly engineering and the sciences) most people complete their Ph.D.'s after 6 or 7 years of doctoral study.

T

you should explain and argue with the board/committe. I think they should be consider the argument carefully. A good PhD takes a long time; do you have some good publication? If they are up to a PhD standard, then I think you have good chance of winning over.

B

Bear in mind the links cited are mainly of US origin. Over there the system is quite different. PhDs take longer (5 years + usually) and have coursework components and exams.

I am currently part of the reserach commitee at my uni, and have been involved in several non-completion cases. If students have evidence of progress (such as peer reviewed publications, scholarships and awards) the panel tends to be more forgiving.

If however there is little evidence of this, no real clear plan for finishing the thesis and the supervisor is unable to make a good case, then things don't look so good for the student.

J

Is it ready to go? I would have thought that the uni was obliged to give you some warning of their intent - unless the time restriction is in their handbook maybe at the time you enrolled rather than now as presumably when you accepted their offer it was under the conditions that prevailed at that time? Best thing to do is go and see them, they should not have let you get a whole year beyond what I think they accept for part timers without someone flagging up your non submission, but whatever you do, be polite, contrite, and if it ain't ready yet let them know how long you need - but make it a short time and they might let you finish.

L

Thank you all for your valuable comments.

I'll contact them immediately and let you all know what they reply. I can't go there as I am living in another country.

What do you think should be the best way to apoproach them? From a 'I have loads of thing to attend to while writing the thesis, such as job, family, had a major car accident, ....' or informing them that I couldn't submit because my supervisor wasn't of much help?

Please advise.

P

Whatever you do.. DON'T say you haven't managed to complete it because of job, family etc... I would imagine you'll get kicked out the door sooner than you can say 'MPhil' ... everyone part time has a job or other things to be getting on with and I would imagine the people would be very unsympathetic and it would be seen as you can't manage your time between all these responsibilities.

If you came at it.. 'My supervisor is crap'.. then it's not your fault and no matter how much time you had to devote to your PhD you couldn't continue it due to the poor supervision ... then they *might* be more sympathetic...

Be concious they might ask 'If your supervisor is that crap.. why has it taken you so long to notify us of this?'

S

There are two isues here - time to finish and quality of the work. If all you need is time, that's one thing, but if the work itself is doubtful that is a different problem. Do you need another supervisor for 6 mo/a year in order to finish? Can you get expert advice elsewhere (I have had to do that)? IIWY I'd be looking at writing this up as an MPhil and perhpas starting over with a better PhD project.

I do know 2 poeple this happened to. They were both full-time and one left after 5 years with nothing and the other is still writing up after 7 years. The latter person did cite problems with supervision which have been taken seriously - but there will no doubt be a limit to the extension.

S

You can argue that your supervisor was of insufficent help - they will probably come back and ask why didn't you mention this before all the extensions they have already granted you.

J

Be careful how you word ' my supervisor was no good' if that is what you want to put, you never know who they may know and it wouldn't look very good if one of the people who holds your future in their hands was their lifelong friend. You have to be very contrite and humble I think - after all it is only until you get what you want - . don't cite 'no time' no-one has enough time and as others have said, that won't count for much if anything. Do ask them how you can make it right, there must be a way through this, was a time limit set at the beginning? If so, have you obeyed all the rules to the best of your ability? Be pro-active, but not at all agressive, keep them sweet and they may find a way through for you, annoy them and you stand little chance.

L

Thank you all for your for your priceless advice.

Yes, there is little doubt that I have procrastinated a lot. However, not having a good supervisor and my unwillingness to get in touch with him for guidance has contributed to the delay in submission. Yes, I agree that I should have raised this issue earlier.

Anyway, I have decided to write to my uni, asking them to help me get through this. I want to graduate and would do anything possible for them to accept my thesis at this stage.

I'll update you all later. If anyone has been in a similar case or have known people in my situation, please let me know.